MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How long it takes to learn php?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
How long it took for you guys? 1 month, 6 months, 1 year? Can someone recommend any sites that have useful php tuts?
Erm, I'm still learning, but I've been working on it for about a month.

I bought the PHP for dummies book, but you can find a great tutorial over at http://w3schools.com
Depends how quick you learn, how well you understand it and how dedicated you are.

http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp is a good start, it shouldn't take too long to understand everything there and be able to use it at a decent level, but you could also get a decent book.

I only started to properly learn it about 2-3 months ago and I have the basics covered enough to have made a relatively basic but functional website, and a few (very small) MyBB plugins.
I will say it's something you never finish learning. Even though I don't know it all really. It's still in development and there are so many functions available that I'm sure you'll never stop learning. Now what you discover may not always be useful but who knows.
I want to learn it so bad. Thank you everyone for your links. 2-3 months for the basics seems ok to me. I was afraid that it would have taken much longer than that to cover the basics. And that is all I want for starters. This encourages me a lot.
Definitely tizag.com.... easiest site. I learned some basics in less than a month.
I learned PHP in about 2 months. It's actually a very easy language, but intimidating because it is so large. I don't think its possible to learn every aspect of PHP.

OO PHP on the other hand, boggles my mind. I do not understand that at all.
I learnt PHP to a pretty high level (as in to the level where i wrote a CMS for my clients) in two weeks. Having said that I worked pretty much full time on it during those two weeks and i am pretty quick at picking up programming languages and know how i learn so i was able to do it pretty efficiently.

I learnt pretty much entirely from one book and PHP docs, i'll find the title of the book later if you want, it is a great book.
I know a bit of ActionScript version 2 and NSI. AS2 is effing hard to nail, though.
Pages: 1 2 3