MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Compiling backups on Linux?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay so i have a bunch or .RAR Windows Ultimate backups (like an image) on 3 different DVD. so i have 3 .rars. I kinda want to use it in Virtual box....

How can i compile them? (please don't say 7zip) it won't work for me..
Unzip(or unrar) and make into a bootable ISO!
Like its a running version of the OS all ready. I want to put it together. To compile it.
I've never heard of bootable .rars especial ones in peacies!
You can Image Laptop HDD.

Its called an image. I have it on like 3 cds. I want just make it all one RAR not 3 cds.
I know what an image is and .rar isn't one! Don't act like I don't know what I'm saying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dis...g_software

I don't see rar under there. .rar is a compression file type not a disk image.

Which is why I said make it into and an ISO which is one!

To make it one rar simply unpack the 3 rars and repack as 1! Why make it harder than it has to be? I honestly don't know what to tell you as again I have never seen .rar as a disk image.Dodgy
Hmm? mine are rar'd i split them after i saw i the size.

And thanks i will try/
Are you saying you made a RAR of an ISO which got split into parts because you set a size limit when creating the RAR and now you want to make the smaller RARs into one big RAR?

If that isn't what you mean then I have no clue, and you make no sense.

Oh, and for what it's worth, using the term "compile" in the context you did is incredibly confusing. I think "combine" would have been a better word.
(2009-07-26, 09:51 PM)MrD. Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, and for what it's worth, using the term "compile" in the context you did is incredibly confusing. I think "combine" would have been a better word.

I was thinking the same.

Huh
Check the Virtual Box documentation, it has an Advanced section that describes how you can use existing filesystems.

How you convert your rar files into a usable filesystem image is up to you (depends on how those rars were created). However your first step will most likely be to extract those rars and then work with the contents you extracted.

If it's actually one big rar file that you split binary (regardless of RAR format) to fit several DVDs, you can concatenate them back to one big file using cat. (cat a b c > abc).
Pages: 1 2