MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: System doesn't send emails
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I installed MyBB on a fresh Fedora Core 4 installation of linux. Sendmail (or whatever other MTA is) seems to work since when I do > echo Hello | mail [email protected], I get the email.

However, MyBB does not seem to send emails to anyone. (Several of us have subscribed to several forums, but no emails!)

Are there instructions on how to set up the email?

Thanks!

Pahidla
pahidla Wrote:However, MyBB does not seem to send emails to anyone. (Several of us have subscribed to several forums, but no emails!)
I can confirm that new thread email alerts do work on this board (I get new alerts many times a day). So this is most likely a problem involving hosting and requirements. Thats all I have to offer...

Good luck! Smile
Actually my MyBB is installed on a local intranet so it is not a hosting issue. I know that the mybboard.net forum has no problems sending email. I'm just wondering what needs to be set up email-wise on my linux box.
Is PHP configured correctly to use your sendmail?
DennisTT Wrote:Is PHP configured correctly to use your sendmail?

Since I don't understand the question, probably not! I know nothing about PHP so please tell me where to begin looking.

Thanks!
First, copy one of these examples: http://ca.php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php

And upload it to your server in .php and see if the mail works.

If it doesn't, then look here for the information about the configuration options:
http://ca.php.net/mail

Then you can modify it in your php.ini, or whatever the PHP configuration file is (I'm not sure for linux)

What user should it send the email as? As root? Or as apache?
Or there is a special mybb user?
Hi,

OK, I ran the following script (with the "php" command):

<?php
$message = "Line 1\nLine 2\nLine 3";
mail('[email protected], 'My Subject', $message);
?>

and it worked!

That leads me to believe that php is configured correctly and that sendmail is working properly. What can I look at next?