MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Group promotion not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hiya, I run a 1.4.8 board, newly converted from XMB, the URL is http://www.shopadollic.com/bst/ . I am hoping to find why group promotions don't seem to work 100% at our board. I've set that members with 2 or more posts should be promoted from "Registered" to a new primary group called "Members" - the purpose is to avoid usage of the PM system until they've introduced themselves and set up a feedback topic (this is a B/S/T forum).

When the task runs, only a handful of the members are promoted (5, to be exact), but when I ran the SQL command directly in phpMyAdmin, it turned out that 340 members were eligible for the promotion. How come they aren't recognized by the promotion task? Will new members have to manually be promoted? We don't have any other custom groups - I noticed that there could be a problem viewing the correct numbers of members of a group when this is the case, but I don't think it should be at our board.
Are you sure you don't have some other requirement for getting promoted?
I'm quite sure I read somewhere that users have to be active for them to be promoted... I'm not sure what 'being active' would be based on, but a couple of people have said that seems to be the case. Do you know if newer people are being promoted??
Sorry for the late reply, I hadn't subscribed to the topic and didn't get any notifications about new replies.. It seems that it might be working now; I just browsed all "Registered" (those with 0-1 posts), and there was only one member there with 2 posts. The "Member" count has also increased, and I have not run the SQL command since I posted my initial post.

Ooka, yes I am quite sure that post count is the only measurement for promotions.
Matt, that would be interesting to learn what "active" means in this case.
Another thread was made on this, turns out it's to do with the user's last visit in relation to when the task is run. If they weren't active after the task was last run, they won't be included. It's like that because otherwise, if you have a promotion for people with 1 post or more, for example, but 1000 people who match that, it'd be a heavy load on the server.
Ok. thanks! So, this means that a member will be promoted when they visit after the task has run and the task runs again?

Task run - member filling requirements (but has not visited during the last two runs of task?) is not promoted - member visiting board - task runs the next time - member is promoted

?
That sounds about right, yeah... that way it only promotes active users, not people who haven't visited in months.