MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: sending a test email
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi

was wondering if anyone can tell me is there a way of sending a test email from within the admin area of the forum itself.

We are having a big problem with our new installation of my bb 1.4 where we simply cant get it to email out. And having to create a new user to see if it emails out is taking to long.

Can anyone help?

Many Thanks
ACP > Users & Groups > Mass Mail > send it to yourself...?? Also run this test: [Wiki: Help:Mail] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)
Well you could use the Mass Mail feature in the admincp (Users & Groups --> Mass Mail --> Create a new one that just send it to you).
After that you can go into the Mass Mail archive and click the resend button if needed.

Another alternative is to use the resend activation email function which takes a little longer. The user would have to be in the Awaiting Activation group and then you could go to their UserCP then click the resend activation code link next to their group. You enter your email and it should send it to you Wink

EDIT: @Matt you're too quick for me :p
hi

many thanks for the replies, i have used the test script you pointed me to. It says the mail sent by php, but i am not getting any email ????
If you are sure PHP Mail doesn't work then you can try the SMTP alternative. If your host has cPanel or a control panel similar to that then you should be able to find the mail server details in there.

However you can use Gmail or Yahoo Mail to send mail through as well.
hi

right think i fixed it and i will do my best to tell you how for other people that struggle with php mail.

Obviously all hosting is different. But in my case my hoster will only allow php mail if the senders address is from the same domain.

So as per MattRogowski [Wiki: Help:Mail] instructions where it states:

If your webhost has restricted that only mails from there own domain is allowed, try to edit the file inc/functions.php. Look for:

mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);and include above: ini_set("sendmail_from", " [email protected] ");
Then it should look like this:

ini_set("sendmail_from", " [email protected] ");
mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);

I didnt use the code above I got the code from my hosters support KB but basically its the same mine just has an additinal line.

Once code was changed saved reuploded the file and got my first test registration email.
BTW the instructions may be a little dated as it tells you to look for the line:

mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);

mine is actually a little different:

function my_mail($to, $subject, $message, $from="", $charset="", $headers="", $keep_alive=false, $format="text", $message_text="", $return_email="")

Just a heads up.

Many thanks to everyone as without your help I would never of got this fixed.