MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Cookie Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Should these URLs be considered the same by the cookies?

1) http://forum.gtasportriders.com/
[attachment=162]
2) http://forum.gtasportriders.com/index.php
[attachment=163]

When I use the first URL, it showed I have a few new post.
When I use the second URL, it showed I have no new post.

I would have thought the cookies would treat the two url the same. Now I am wonder if I need to go back to not using subdomain names.

cookie domain: .forum.gtasportriders.com
cookie path: /

If anyone has any thoughts about this, please let me know. thanks.
My guess is that it's your cache. Try emptying your cache and/or doing a hard refresh (Ctrl+F5 in Firefox and IE)
Thanks Matt,

I have clean out the cache and done hard refresh before.
It does get updated with the proper status. Then this situations happens again.

Just curious to find out how the board cookies treat these two urls, and also try to figure out what is best way to handle the cookies.
I'm pretty sure the way you have the cookies set up is the best way. Cookies don't treat files differently. Meaning /index.php and /forumdisplay.php have the same cookie scope. As for '/' having a different variable scope... it should not because it is actually index.php doing the cookie handling for this page. If the problem is occuring repeatedly you may want to try changing your browser's cache setting and see if that works.
I've changed the max cache to 1MB. Just have wait and see if the problem still occurs.

Thanks for your help Matt.
As Matt said, both ways are still calling index.php, so it will not matter how you are accessing the URL.

You could set headers in myBB as no-cache. I believe you can find this under server optimizations. This will send headers to your browser that it should download the page each time.
I did... Smile

Send No Cache Headers
With this option you can prevent caching of the page by the browser. Yes

Unless it should say No.
Ah. I was looking for that earlier but couldn't find it. Glad it was found Smile
I've also set

Send Standard Headers
With some web servers, this option can cause problems; with others, it is needed. No

Does 'Send Standard Headers' set to 'no' make a difference?
You only really use that if your server is IIS because it sometimes does funny things to the page headers.

Regards,
Chris
Pages: 1 2