MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Naming an admin with special characters during installation doesn't "work"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was setting up my new private forum for private use, and during the installation script it asked me for my admin account. I typed in "Fábio Maia" (my name). All working and stuff, but when the installation was complete and I acessed my forum my nickname was "F" ONLY. I tried to login with "Fábio Maia" and the respective password but it didn't work, now that I remember I could have tried to login with "F" and its password. Didn't really remember, so..

But then "eh, screw it. I'll just delete everything and install it again". So yeah I didn't make any specific tests. I could have tried to edit my admin account and tried to rename it to "Fábio Maia" again (but as I didn't remember to login as F, I couldn't login to the ACP as well).

I'm on a free-host running Windows and VistaPanel as the control panel, as I'm not going to spend money on a private forum just for a few couple of users. I didn't try this anymore, I have already a new board setup with no special chars. or spaces between words on my nickname. AND, in my new board I created a new user (not an admin) named "Fábio Maia" just to see if it was a global problem. It's not, seems like it just doesn't accept special chars. or spaces between words in the admin account during installation.

Any thoughts on this? :|

EDIT: Also, my board name was 8ºD and it showed up as 8D, not 8ºD. So I guess it's not just nicknames..
And still regarding the board name, I now also edited my forum name from 8D (which I set in the new installation, so the fact it's 8D doesn't mean it was a problem. I wrote 8D because I knew it wouldn't work) to 8ºD and it did make effect. I could edit the board name and got it working.
Whether or not special characters work is depending if you have your php & mysql installations and extensions installed and setup properly for UTF-8 to work.
But if he can change them and make them work after the installation, how would that affect it? If that was so, technically it shouldn't allow those characters at any time, no? This seems like a problem with the MyBB install.