MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Promotions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I created a user group where users are moved to once they reach 1 post. However, I run the task system and users are nor promoted. So, I created a test account in the same conditions as the rest of the users and posted one post. Ran the task system and that user got promoted. However, the rest of users with one or more than one posts do not get promoted.

I am going to debug the promotions.php file to find what's wrong.

Edit:
I found what's wrong. The problem is the lastactive field. The user must have been active after the task was last run, I guess.
This doesn't make much sense though, because I want all users to be affected. Not only the ones that were active in the past 20 minutes
Anyway I fixed this myself, so you can close this, move to bugs or whatever. It's not actually a bug but something that in my opinion is not that correct
I think a few people have said that only recently active people are affected by promotions, you're not the first person to have this kind of thing happen; however I'm not sure what 'recent' is defined as.
Read my edit Toungue
I posted before you edited Toungue

If I were you I'd make a suggestion thread about it because, as I said, quite a few people have questioned this.
Yeah I'm going to do that. Thanks Smile
I agree this needs to be fixed. From an admin perspective it looks like the promotion system is broken. It should promote all the users. I refuse to use the promotion system as it currently is because it works so oddly. It needs to be looked at again imho.

My biggest issue...no hooks in the promotions task to make custom changes.
(2009-08-05, 08:05 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I agree this needs to be fixed. From an admin perspective it looks like the promotion system is broken. It should promote all the users. I refuse to use the promotion system as it currently is because it works so oddly. It needs to be looked at again imho.

So what would you suggest? We remove that condition and in turn, perform some seriously intensive queries against what could be a low performance or highly trafficked server?

If you had 20,000 users with more then 1 post and you created a promotion that would affect all your users. You'd end up inserting/updating over 40,000 rows in a matter of seconds. That would be pretty intensive on many shared servers or highly trafficked severs.
But from the promotions page, we should be able to run that promotion instead of doing it via task. That way we could fix things without changing any files
How about when setup an option to manual run the promotion? This would be vital to testing too. Maybe even an "undo last task" although that might be too intense to deal with.

Yes..on the /index.php?module=tools/tasks page it would be nice to have an option for "Run Task". Would make testing on xampp so much easier. Maybe then some of us authors could experiment and begin to understand how the task system works. Yeah I looked at the code but I use the trial and error method of troubleshooting. And I can't even write a plugin for promotions without an official hook. Yes I refuse to do a core edit change especially when imho the request is reasonable for a hook.
(2009-08-05, 08:52 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]How about when setup an option to manual run the promotion?
Yes..on the /index.php?module=tools/tasks page it would be nice to have an option for "Run Task".

There is a "Run Task" option to manually run it.
Pages: 1 2