MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Delayed Thread View Updates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hmm...since I am checking out tasks..I seen this option in settings along with a task.

Delayed Thread View Updates
If this setting is enabled, the number of thread views for threads will be updated in the background by the task schedule system. If not enabled, thread view counters are incremented instantly.

Do you think that will save me some load at HF if I enabled it?

Anyone run this setting? Any help from staff on this one?
I do run it, but my forum is still rather small. I have around 800 users and 400 guests per 24 hours and usually 30 members per 24 hours. But for hack forums it should save you some server load
Do members notice the difference?
I don't know, I haven't told my members that thread views are not updated immediatly. But as I said, my forum is still rather small so I can't notice anything different. But on hack forums, it should reduce the server load
You should really test it to see if it helps. The idea is to reduce table locking on the threads table, and thus, it really depends on the number of concurrent queries being executed.
I just dropped my load in half by changing of a few things. It's likely I will need a second server to handle the load within a couple months. I am serving 250k+ pages a day according to analytics.

Things I just did:
-Lower search limit from 2500 to 1000 (default is unlimited)-
-Removed forum jump
-Shortened Who's Online cutoff time to 5 mins (default is 5 but I had this at 15 mins)

I am also making some my.cnf adjustments in hopes of optimizing a bit more there too.