MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Making a universal navigation bar.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone, im new to all of this myBB stuff and .php so I could really use some help. I've been wanting to put a universal nav bar (for the entire site) on the top of the forums page and i am really struggling where to put it and how i should put it. Do i use the global.php? Do i add something in the header template or headerinclude template? (if so what do i add). I would really like to figure this out. It's been bugging me for the past 2 days.

Thanks so much. BTW if this is the wrong section to put it in, can someone please move it tho the appropriate one. (kinda new to the myBB community).

-Ziggles. Cool

(BTW if anyone needs it, the forum link is http://fsimmers.com/forums/ )
You'll need to edit your header template. You may also need to add your global navigation's CSS to your theme's CSS.
If you need any help with this feel free to PM me!
(2009-08-08, 03:25 AM)Josh G Wrote: [ -> ]You'll need to edit your header template. You may also need to add your global navigation's CSS to your theme's CSS.
If you need any help with this feel free to PM me!

Also make sure it's in the Global Template.
(2009-08-08, 03:39 AM)cfootball1 Wrote: [ -> ]Also make sure it's in the Global Template.

Why would it need to be a the global templates. The header shows on every page of the forum. That is as long is the {$header} variable is used when needed.

I've done what I said and it works perfectly.
(2009-08-08, 03:50 AM)Josh G Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-08-08, 03:39 AM)cfootball1 Wrote: [ -> ]Also make sure it's in the Global Template.

Why would it need to be a the global templates. The header shows on every page of the forum. That is as long is the {$header} variable is used when needed.

He Said he want's a Universal navigation bar. So, if he edits Global Template -> Header it will be global for ALL themes.
(2009-08-08, 04:52 AM)cfootball1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-08-08, 03:50 AM)Josh G Wrote: [ -> ]

He Said he want's a Universal navigation bar. So, if he edits Global Template -> Header it will be global for ALL themes.

There's no such thing as a global header template. If you want a navbar on all the themes then you will need to edit the header template on all the themes.
Well I got it working.

I just had to go into the header template of my theme, add the code then add the css into the global.css thanks everyone for the help!
Can someone help me out with this by giving me the code for it and telling me where to put it, cause I'm a total novice when it comes to this. I'm using the default theme, so I don't need to customise it really, and I can cope with editing links, text because I know how to do that.
Well the navigation code depends on what you want. You can have a simple nav bar with hover CSS or image sprites. google a simple nav bar code. As for the placement, you put it in the theme template > header template. The CSS goes in the theme global.css file.
Has anyone got the code for the one here, because I really like it, and it's the right theme etc.