MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [TEASER] Patches Plugin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2009-08-09, 10:01 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-08-09, 01:18 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]The main issue is that the system needs some way to edit the files (either by requiring the files to be editable by the PHP process, or through some sort of FTP system).

There'll be two options; either you (permanently or temporarily) chmod the files to be writable and it will modify them directly; or, if write permissions are missing, or if you have security concerns about chmoding files, it will instead generate a downloadable archive (zip file or similar) with the changed files in it which you can then upload yourself.

The FTP system is the worst choice security wise (if the FTP password is stored somewhere - and then obtained by a hacker) and stability wise as FTP is not reliable enough as a protocol. Without a proper FTP client, which handles advanced stuff like automatic reconnects, retrys, resends etc., messing with MyBB core files over FTP is just asking for forum breakage.
Not necessarily. Just as you can temporarily CHMOD files, you can temporarily enable an FTP account (or prompt the password when doing changes and never store it).
PHP's FTP support seems reasonable and I wouldn't consider FTPing to localhost to be unreliable or unsecure.

But that's your decision Toungue The downloadable ZIP archive is interesting.
It sounds amazing. I could see it being used in combination with some plugins that people plan but require core edits.
awsome...
Great work! I'm looking forward to it Smile
Hi frostschutz
this will be a great plugin! In your screenshot I can see a "apply" and "revert" link. May it be better if the plugin checks every patch status directly while/before loading the patches page and show only one link ("apply" or "revert")?

Just an idea...

PS: I know this could take a long time if there are a lot of patches included. But in my opinion this is not a problem because in normale case the page will load in a low frequency and only by an admin.
Yes, querschlaeger, it will do that eventually. Actually I'm even planning to take it several steps further. Toungue Wink

(2009-08-09, 10:01 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]The plugin will try to keep track of the changes and check if the modifications made by the Patches are still in place. Actually this keeping track business will be by far the most complicated part of the plugin; this functionality may come only later and not be present in an early beta (which I'm planning to release as soon as the system is able to apply and revert patches).

And it won't take that much of a long time either, don't worry about it.
How long will it take for a beta of this to exist? This could mean a lot for my project.
Originally I was planning to have a beta ready this month. But so far it's only half done - it can parse and display patches fine, but not actually apply them yet. So it's not fit to be a beta yet.

There were a lot of delays lately... I came down with a fever and couldn't concentrate on programming for well over a week, and during that time, other work piled up too. Also I'll be overseas for two months starting October, and I probably won't have time to do any developing work over there. And once I come back there'll be another pile of work waiting for me.

So it's probably safe to say that it will take until end of this year for this plugin to be released.
See my PM. Wink
This would be awesome, cant wait until a beta Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5