MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [release]nofollow links
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
You don't need a plugin. Just use the MyCode editor: http://community.mybb.com/thread-81141.html Wink
Thanks! Yea I want the bots to stay on my site, btw one question, just upload it and activate it, nothing more to it right? cuz thats all i did.
(2010-11-06, 09:15 AM)terrorz Wrote: [ -> ]Yea I want the bots to stay on my site [...]

You can't control this whether with or without the nofollow tag.
TBH I suggest you use method querschlaeger suggested using MyCode, it's more efficient and probably just as easy. I really just made this a long time ago to experiment with hooks.
Hi, i tried your plugin, very good, just one ask, when user's do not set an homepage address, the code of the user's profile are not validated bacause it show an empty wrong tag like this: <a rel="nofollow" href="" target="_blank">
and this is against w3c validator..
..it could be good the plugin work only when a user insert the homepage adress.
Hey and excuse me for bumping this thread. I have downloaded and installed this plugin and even though I have UNinstalled it all new links on my forum are continued to be shown as rel="nofollow"

Are there any database and/or core files that has been edited once this was installed in the first time.

What I did was deactivating the plugin followed by deleting the .php file in inc/plugins folder.

Any help please!!!! HuhHuh
Great, now I'm having the same happening as the dude above: all my links continue to be nofollow including my internal links. I deactivated the plugin and then deleted it as any regular plugin yet it is still tagging all links with nofollow.

Can anyone please help?

P.S: also, why in the world would anyone nofollow their own internal links? I tried this plugin because all solutions to tag nofollow on external plugins are either broken, redundant or break my forum (like this plugin and another one from 2012). I tried it to combine it with the MyCode suggested to get the internal links back to being followed but the MyCode rules are also redundant for 1.6.12. Tagging your own internal links as nofollow makes no sense.

(2013-10-04, 10:58 AM)supermanbb Wrote: [ -> ]Hey and excuse me for bumping this thread. I have downloaded and installed this plugin and even though I have UNinstalled it all new links on my forum are continued to be shown as rel="nofollow"

Are there any database and/or core files that has been edited once this was installed in the first time.

What I did was deactivating the plugin followed by deleting the .php file in inc/plugins folder.

Any help please!!!! HuhHuh
(2014-01-20, 03:40 PM)Ados Wrote: [ -> ]P.S: also, why in the world would anyone nofollow their own internal links?

You can mark internal links (to specific posts or user profiles or reply buttons or ...) as unimportant; although the better option is to block such URLs through robots.txt or to tell Google (Webmaster Tools) to just ignore some parameters (such as pid).

Some sites use referer hiding, in which case you can not easily distinguish internal and external links anymore (when its internal.link?goto=external.link). Do you nofollow those or not?

Why nofollow external links anyway? As long as it's not spam, there is no reason to. If everyone starts to nofollow all the links without exception, the flag loses its purpose.

The Google SEO plugin sets nofollow for X days (to give moderators time to remove any spam posted) and long term all links revert to normal. If you're (still) using this plugin and haven't disabled the nofollow setting, that's probably the reason why you're still seeing nofollow'd links in recent posts / member profiles.
(2014-01-20, 05:52 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-01-20, 03:40 PM)Ados Wrote: [ -> ]P.S: also, why in the world would anyone nofollow their own internal links?

You can mark internal links (to specific posts or user profiles or reply buttons or ...) as unimportant; although the better option is to block such URLs through robots.txt or to tell Google (Webmaster Tools) to just ignore some parameters (such as pid).

Some sites use referer hiding, in which case you can not easily distinguish internal and external links anymore (when its internal.link?goto=external.link). Do you nofollow those or not?

Why nofollow external links anyway? As long as it's not spam, there is no reason to. If everyone starts to nofollow all the links without exception, the flag loses its purpose.

The Google SEO plugin sets nofollow for X days (to give moderators time to remove any spam posted) and long term all links revert to normal. If you're (still) using this plugin and haven't disabled the nofollow setting, that's probably the reason why you're still seeing nofollow'd links in recent posts / member profiles.

Damn, I was hinting that Google SEO was tagging links nofollow. I have actually just posted in your plugin's thread about it.

I would rather just nofollow instead of doing redirects and blocking with robots.txt. About "nofollow" for external URLs as a default, I somewhat agree with you, but making external links nofollow as default in a forum has plenty of benefits:

1) Discourages manual spammers, and discourages many spammers running Xrumer. No one wants to buy Xrumer lists with forums that have nofollow as per default. A list of forums that AA links in posts for new members is pricey and spammers are willing to pay for that. If I mark my external links as nofollow, whenever a $1/hour Indian VA visits my forum to see if links are AA/followed/moderated/nofollow, he will not put my forum in a Xrumer-blasting list; and I mention "Indian" simply because I know people who run boiler room "SEO" companies (black hat) that have a team of Indian VAs scouting forums 24/7, and this is a very profitable business model via using Indian VAs.

2) Whenever I or someone post links with affiliate tags, the links are automatically made nofollow (and we moderate all links but I allow certain people to post affiliate links). Affiliate links are a grey area when it comes to SEO, but I always nofollow them and have anecdotal evidence that the big G likes that as it could be regarded as a "paid" link.

Of course, if I found a very nice site to link out in the postbit, I'd be cool with leaving the link as a regular followed link, but then such a plugin would require too much coding and I don't know if anyone is up for creating such a plugin from scratch.
Pages: 1 2