MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Translation count
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I work on several plugins right now. Because of this, I don't have time to make this plugin.

I was thinking about a plugin that simply could count the number of total strings and the number of translated strings on a language.
(2009-08-14, 03:15 PM)lakridserne Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I work on several plugins right now. Because of this, I don't have time to make this plugin.

I was thinking about a plugin that simply could count the number of total strings and the number of translated strings on a language.

What would you need in that plugin?

- The total of strings in all files for each languages.
- The individual totals for all files.
- The differences between all languages.
- All these answers.

Knowing what you want to do with the results could sheed more light in the coding... Wink
(2009-08-14, 10:53 PM)exdiogene Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-08-14, 03:15 PM)lakridserne Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

What would you need in that plugin?

- The total of strings in all files for each languages.
- The individual totals for all files.
- The differences between all languages.
- All these answers.

Knowing what you want to do with the results could sheed more light in the coding... Wink

I want to could see in my acp in a row that there are translated for example 10.000 strings out of 25.000. Then we could write it in the release-nodes.
From my own experience in the translation of MyBB, there are some problems for giving correct numbers for the translated strings.

Some array strings are not unique and are existing more than once in one file.
Some array strings are not unique and are existing more than once in multiple files.
Some array strings are not unique and are translated more than once in multiple files.

It would be more precise to give the ratio of translations done per file, but this is quite a job to code it in a plugin. Just think about people having more than one translation on their forums...
it would not be so big a job. You just counts the total number of language strings and/or per language. But fair enought - if you don't want, you don't have to make a plugin. I'll code it when the time comes to it.
It is not so simple, it could occur that some strings could be translated to empty strings...

It could also occur that the translation could have a string not even present in the english version...

So just counting strings is not an exact way to analyse translation, it must be done one value at a time to find its correspondance in the translated version and also taking care of duplicates!

Once you will start, you will find the problems. I was just trying to make you aware of them because i already have made a PHP script to analyse translation files to be able to find all those errors... Wink