MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Totally confused...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just installed the latest version of MyBB on my website and I'm wondering if I've made the right choice. It all seems very complicated, although it was recommended as one of the forum systems that wasn't. I need spaces to place advertisements and graphic banners, I'd like to have my own site logo on there somewhere, and I just don't see options like that. Even worse, I don't see options to change the layout look or the color scheme without using some sort of theme. None of the themes I've yet seen will suffice and I'm not a code writer nor have I seen any tutorial on how to dreate themes, so I can't make my own. Is there some sort of "karma" system, or is that the "reputation" thing, and if so, is there a way to change the wording "reputation" to something more in line with my site? Is there any good place where one can easily find codes for "hide" keys and other such resources? And what about a decent chat room or shoutbox?

I'm finding myself overwhelmed with how much I don't know, and how much it appears I'm expected to simply know offhand. So far, I'm not finding MyBB easy to customize, nor am I finding the resources I need to make MyBB the right choice for my site. Sad

Forgive me... I'm not trying to be ugly or disparaging in any way. I found ProBoards easy to use and setup right away and I never felt like I needed a huge "How to" manual.

B
You have some very valid points. As it is more of an advanced users forum software package. Most of the things that you express above you can download a mod for.

MyBB is free, and has unlimited functionality. Functionality is my #1 priority. It is very hard, and time consuming to build a forum like MyBB that is so simple, without Sacrificing Functionality.

I prefer functionality.
You can add your own logo in the theme settings. For ads, you can add them to the templates, or there's various plugins to add them easier.

Themes are what gives the forum it's colours, it's just CSS really. There's always a theme installed, the one that's there at the start is just the default theme. You can customise that or add a new one.

Reputation is pretty much the same as Karma, yeah, and all the text is customisable via the language files; make a note of any changes you make to these files so you can make them again if that file ever gets updated.

A lot of stuff is answered on the Wiki too.