MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [D] Can duplicate ADMIN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a user account for ADMIN (user #1) but someone has managed to setup another account with the same name (user #15636).

I'm assuming this is some weird bug that allows this to happen.

Worse news: I asked someone to send a PM to admin and it was sent to the new admin, not the real admin. Huh

UPDATE: I changed the name of the new admin to something else and then tried to register admin again, but now it tells me that admin is already registered by another member. So how did the admin I've just changed manage to register? Huh
http://community.mybboard.net/thread-54822.html

I would delete the fake admin account.
huh?
(2009-08-16, 08:28 AM)Joshua Mayer Wrote: [ -> ]http://community.mybboard.net/thread-54822.html

That thread does not exist O_o
The thread ist unapproved.
ok .
Ok the thread is unapproved, but are we allowed to know how to stop people registering fake admins?
I guess it's because of some letters of other languages which look similar to ours and that makes them possible to have the "same" name as you. At least it appears to be the same name. So actually I don't think there's much you can do but renaming the faked ones.
The thread is unapproved for some reason Toungue
Anyway, yes there is but I'm afraid I can't post the answer, otherwise I'd be telling *couch* other people *cough* how to use it on websites that aren't patched against this issue. I'd just recommend you to delete those fake accounts once you find any and post an announcement thread or something alerting your users that if any account with the same user name as yours but with less posts than X is a fake admin account or something
I unapproved it so people couldn't see how to do it.

The bug that makes this possible should be fixed in the next maintenance release; it's nothing to worry about though. The username is very slightly different even though it looks the same to us.
@Matt, that's why I said "for some reason", I should have said "for *some* reason" Toungue