MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Submitting profile fields from a different page?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heya! My apologies in advance if this is not the right place to post this. Hmm, I'm not sure how to word it right but I'll try my best.

So, there is a particular custom profile field I would like my users to edit, but I want them to edit that profile field on a different page instead of the "Edit Profile" page on the User Control Panel.

I do have my own PHP page set up, thanks to Infranight's "Comprehensive Guide to Custom Page Creation" tutorial, and I do understand a bit of PHP (mostly stuff like variables and if conditions). Smile

So yeah, I'm wondering, how would I go about doing that? :o
Fill in the value into the DB?
Heya! I'm afraid I'm a bit lost when it comes to this, my apologies. Sad How?
Do a HTML <form> and get the value via php.
Fill in the value into db with a simple query:

$query = "INSERT INTO mybb_userfields (fid1) VALUES ("$_POST[value]") WHERE uid = $mybb->user[uid]";

Please note that this is just an example that should show how it basically works, you do need to escape the $_POST result of course (use strip_tags and so on, secure it!) and I guess I do have syntax errors in here but I'm too tired to work on this now.
I hope you can figure it out.

Kind regards
Lennart Sauter
Hmm, oh man, I feel really bad when I say this but I can't figure it out. Sad If you don't mind me asking, could you show me an example of how it's used so I could learn from it?

Also, thanks for helping out. Smile
PK8, here's an example of how you can do it. Please don't use it though, just use it as a base...

if($mybb->request_method == "post")
{
	// When the form is submitted, excute the code below
	$status = trim($mybb->input['status']); // Clean whitespace from the box
	if(!$status)
	{
		// The user didn't enter anything, so throw an error
		error("You didn't enter anything into the required field. Please go back and try again.");
	}

// Update the "status" profile field
	$update_array = array(
		"fid4" = $db->escape_string($status)
	);
	$db->update_query("userfields", $update_array, "ufid = '".$mybb->user['uid']."'");

// Now that we've updated the database, redirect the user
	// The below will appear as a friendly redirect thingy
	redirect("index.php", "Thanks for updating your profile status!");
}

<form name="input" action="index.php" method="post">
<input type="submit" value="Submit" />
</form>
Whoa, thanks a bunch, Tomm M! Big Grin