MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Redirects for only thread poster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When the bug reports forum was in use here, if a thread was posted there that was actually support, it'd be moved with no redirect, so the bug report forum wouldn't be cluttered up with them. Also, if a thread is posted in the support forum, but needs to be in the plugins/themes forum, there's more redirects, and sometimes there's quite a lot of them. The only person that really needs to see the redirect is the person who posted the thread; they'll be the ones wondering where it's gone if there's no redirect, everyone else wouldn't really need to know it was moved, and would make it a bit cleaner for everyone else if only the thread's poster saw the redirect. Anyone think this is worth doing?? Maybe add an option on the redirect options page to only show it to the thread poster or something.
What if I'm looking to reply to a thread, but now I don't know where it is? It's kind of useless, really.
It would mainly be used if it's being moved recently after being posted, and/or there's been no replies, only the thread poster would really need to know where it's gone. This happened very regularly in the bugs reports forum and happens a lot in the support forum, a thread needs to be moved before anyone has had a chance to see/reply to it, nobody else needs to know it was moved, but the poster would need to know. If it's a popular thread that already has replies before being moved, it would make sense to show it to everybody, yes, but the option to show it to everyone would remain; this new option would be aimed at newer threads. I mean there's been times when someone has come on and made 5 threads within 15 minutes in the support forum that should all be in the plugins/themes forum, nobody's really read them yet, they've had like 2/3 views, there's no replies yet, I don't think we all really want to see a ton of redirects that we don't really need to see, only the person who posted it would need to see where they've gone. If when going through the support forums you see 5 new threads that you haven't seen before that have been moved with redirects, would you really need to know that they were originally posted in support and then moved?? Not really. They just take up space and push other threads down, and people don't like that happening.
@_@

lrn2linebreakplz

Anyways, yes/no. If the option was just show the redirect or not, that would be fine. Users should be able to figure out why their topic was moved..
I think this would be useful here, but I don't see it being useful anywhere else...
(2009-08-21, 02:39 AM)Joshua Mayer Wrote: [ -> ]I think this would be useful here, but I don't see it being useful anywhere else...

What about on other projects using MyBB? Rolleyes
I would think this would be a good add to the modtools. Should be an addition though.
(2009-08-21, 03:07 PM)Martin M. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-08-21, 02:39 AM)Joshua Mayer Wrote: [ -> ]I think this would be useful here, but I don't see it being useful anywhere else...

What about on other projects using MyBB? Rolleyes
I would think this would be a good add to the modtools. Should be an addition though.

I was thinking about that... maybe it would be used on other sites Toungue

I agree it should be a mod tool...
You probably want to at least consider including people who have replied to the thread? Also hard to tell, since someone else may be interested in seeing updates to the thread but hasn't posted anything in it.
I think expiring redirects is good enough for now to be honest.