MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Should GZip Page Compression be enabled?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Should GZip Page Compression in the forums? Its off by default should i turn it on?
It makes your site run faster. Your server compresses the page before sending it to the browser. While this speeds up your site by a lot, it can cause issues with older browsers. However, it increases your CPU load, which is especially noticeable on large, high-traffic forums. Depending on your host, you may get in trouble if you hog too much CPU power.

I generally leave it off; almost everyone now has a high-speed connection. Not all of them use a decent browser though, and I don't find any reason to enable it on my forums.
Usually the webserver decides by itself whether to gzip or not. You only have to enable the option if your webserver is not capable of doing this. There should be no issue with browsers if it's done correctly, since the browser tells the server in its HTTP request, whether or not it supports gzip.