MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: problem logging in
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I installed MyBB and got it working fine.

But then I lost log ins from two locations.
1) When I try to log in from another cmoputer it tells me the password is invalid. I have tried over and over to reset the password, but every time I follow the directions exactly it just tells me that I'm using an invalid password. I used the one sent to me by email.

This was for access from the main forum.

2) However, when I trie to access as the administrator it won't let me in either. And even though I try resetting the password there I get the same results as the login above.

The forum is located at http://www.100k-business-tool.com/forum

I've followed all fo the directions about cookie setting on Internet explore, and even removed the file inc/settings.php but that didn't help either.

I could not reset the cookie settings inside of MyBB because I can't access it. It won't let me back in.

[email protected]
816-415-8878
I still can't log in correctly as the administrator even though I've done everything that this threat suggested.

First, the cookies were already correctly set on the computer, so that shouldn't have been an issue.
Second, I wasn't able to set the cookie setting on the forum because I can't access it as an administrator any longer.

I have lost both user and administrator access even when I try to reset the password.
At least that was what was going on up until a few minutes ago. The last time I tried to reset the password as a user it actually worked. This was the first time in hours of doing it the same way.

However, as soon as it reset my user password I lost ALL access to the admin part of the forum.

The website is http://www.100k-business-tool.com/forum

I also removed and inc/settings.php and it reset itself.
Remove the .www from the cookie domain in ./inc/settings.php and then in the ACP. I don't think many people read that thread when it's linked to Undecided
(2009-08-22, 09:26 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Remove the .www from the cookie domain in ./inc/settings.php and then in the ACP. I don't think many people read that thread when it's linked to Undecided

I finally figured it out. The "reset" is rather confusing. You might want to look into that. It was actually working but it led me to believe that I still had to do something else.

After I received the first email about resetting the password and gave me another password, it sent me back to the sign in form on the forum.

When I got there, it said that I was asking for ANOTHER keyword. That was confusing as I thought I had just received THE keyword. I ended up in what appeared to be an endless loop of reseting passwords and going back and forth. It appeared to be going nowhere.

However, after started from scratch by installing another MyBB into another folder, I finally saw what was happening.

The fact that it gives you a new password to use to reset the password, and THEN when you get back into the signup it actualy re-issues another password is confusing. But once I realized that it was generating TWO separate passwords, one to reset, and one as the new password TO USE it worked.

It's confusing as I've never seen anyone do it that way. Most just reset the password and give you a new one, not two.

In any case, it works.

Every other thing about the forum I love.

Alan
The $100K Coach
Last time I checked there weren't two passwords... not sure what you're referring to there Undecided
(2009-08-22, 08:20 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Last time I checked there weren't two passwords... not sure what you're referring to there Undecided

Well, it surprised me too. But that's when it started working.

Step 1, I asked the forum to send me a new password. It told me it was sending one.

Step 2 -- I received an email that had two different links in it. One was to go directly back in to the forum. And the other said, "if the first one doesn't work then use this link." Which is what I did. And it handed me a new password.

Step 3-- When I entered that password into the form that was given to me from that link in the email, it said, that it was generating a new password for me.

Step 4 -- I received that new password with an email that looked just like the first one but with a totaly different password. This time when I clicked on the link and entered that last password everything worked. I was into the site with a new password.

That was two passwords.
Just tested it, I got sent an email with an activation code to confirm the request, I went to that link, then got another email with the actual new password, that's the only password I got. The activation code in the first email is to confirm the request of a new password.
(2009-08-22, 09:07 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Just tested it, I got sent an email with an activation code to confirm the request, I went to that link, then got another email with the actual new password, that's the only password I got. The activation code in the first email is to confirm the request of a new password.

Whether you call it an activation code plus a password, it appeared to me, a user as two passwords. It was so confusing when I got te first one, and then it asked me about sending another password that, at first I stopped and didn't proceed.

After several hours of doing it over and over, I did go through the second one, but by then I had so many different passwords coming in that when I entered them they were not the most current ones that the software was asking for . . . so it was rejecting them. I was entering them out of sink.

As a quality manager for 25 years in the software industry I'd say that that is a problem. If it can screw up . . . it will. And you have users out there all confused.

I saw a lot of messages about problems logging in on the forum. Not sure if they are the same, but, as I said, if it can happen it will.

It's not user friendly.
Well, in the first email, it says it's an activation code, it doesn't say it's a password... it's quite clear really, the first link in the first email has the activation code at the end of it, if that doesn't work, you go to the second URL and enter that same code in manually, then you get sent the actual password. This was in mine.. the first URL had code=PoSkyEok at the end, then below, it said if that didn't work, to go to the second link and put PoSkyEok into the box, the same code as before, because that's the activation code to confirm the reset. That then confirms that you've actually requested the password, and then once it's been confirmed, either with the activation code in the URL or putting it in manually, you get sent an email with the actual password.

This is the first email I got:

Quote:MattR,

To complete the phase of resetting your account password at Learn MyBB - Forum for MyBB Tutorials, you will need to go to the URL below in your web browser.

http://www.learnmybb.com/forums/member.p...e=PoSkyEok

If the above link does not work correctly, go to

http://www.learnmybb.com/forums/member.p...etpassword

You will need to enter the following:
Username: MattR
Activation Code: PoSkyEok

Doesn't say anything about what my new password is there. It has the activation code, which confirms you're requesting the change. If I click the first link, I get another email straight away, if I click the second link, I get a box, and I put the activation code into that box. I then get the second email:

Quote:MattR,

Your password at Learn MyBB - Forum for MyBB Tutorials has been reset.

Your new password is: 6SCwuBb7

You will need this password to login to the forums, once you login you should change it by going to your User Control Panel.

There it says what my new password is. There's only one, not two.
Pages: 1 2