MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Smilie/HTML conflict?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On a MyBB install I administer (as the software guy), we use :heart: for a generic heart smilie, and <3 for another type. When HTML support is disabled, <3 would be replaced with the smilie image without any issues. When HTML support is enabled, it no longer replaces with a smilie.

If I use &lt;3 in a post (where HTML is enabled), then it translates into the smilie image, whereas <3 does not. (Setting &lt;3 as the smilie's text doesn't help, either.)

Is there any way to use <3 as a smilie and at the same time have HTML enabled (if that's what's causing the issue)?

If no one has a solution, I can look into the codebase of MyBB myself and see what I can do, but due to current time restraints, I thought it best to first see if there's an existing solution.

If it's any help to see it in action, there's the community's forum thread where smilie testing is being done. (Posting is disabled for guests.)

Edit: Made minor changes/additions after a little bit of looking at board settings.
Try changing the replacement for the smilie to &lt;3 and then see if <3 works... no idea if it'll work, but it's worth a shot.
(2009-08-22, 08:27 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Try changing the replacement for the smilie to &lt;3 and then see if <3 works... no idea if it'll work, but it's worth a shot.

Thanks for the suggestion, Matt. I should have mentioned in my original post that I did try this, and it didn't work.

I just checked a little more, and some of the boards on the forum have HTML enabled and others do not (simply because there wasn't any care in getting it to be the same on every board). It's those with HTML enabled that have this "problem", so that's definitely the cause. (I'll update my original post above to reflect this.)