MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: My member profiles are being indexed by Google (search engines), how to stop that?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

I'm using the latest myBB version and I have a problem. The profile pages of my members are being indexed by search engines which is really not necessary. What should I do so that search engines stop indexing profiles of my users?

Thank you
You need to change the guests groups permissions in the Admin Cp. Groups -> Guests -> Forums and Posts -> Can view user profiles?

Bots follow the Guests permissions.
Ok, I did that. But that's for the member list, I'm talking about user profiles which are still available for everyone.
(2009-08-25, 02:03 PM)InFlames20 Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, I did that. But that's for the member list, I'm talking about user profiles which are still available for everyone.

If you followed what boardhopper said, it should make bots unable to view member profiles.
Doing that will give them a no permissions page, you could also put a rule in your robots.txt file to disallow access to member.php, Google doesn't need that file for anything else, otherwise it might index a no permissions page.
Hm, ok. I'll wait and see. I did everything you said. Thanx guys.
Just do something like this in your robot.txt:
User-agent: *
Disallow: htpp://website.com/folder
Disallow: /otherfolder/
Disallow: /mmm/index.php

To disallow a bot on your website:
User-agent: google
Disallow:

Dont want any bots on website:
User-agent: *
Disallow: /
-----

User-agent:= is the bot name
User-agent: *= all bots
Disallow:= website link
Disallow: /= everything

Something like that Wink Hopefully that will help you Wink.