MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Limiting User Attachments
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
At the bottom of the Post Forms, there's the line that says:

"You are currently using N/A of your allocated attachment usage (50 MB) [View My Attachments]"

On my new forum, the "allocated attachment usage" is evidently set to "unlimited." How do I go about changing that?

I've looked and looked and looked, and I can't find a control for this, anywhere, and I have NO idea how to set up a new one.

I've installed the newest version of the forum (1.4.8, I believe). Here's my new url:

http://www.flyingacres.com/NeighborlySims3/index.php

I don't want to put a MB limit on the attachments, unless that's the only way to go. Rather, I would like to limit the NUMBER of attachments--probably 100--so that members may go through their attachments list after reaching that number, and prune out the old stuff.

Most of my members will never reach that limit, but we deal in downloadable custom content for the Sims 3 game. This new forum, and its twin (Neighborly Sims 2) will be running concurrently, in place of my old SMF forum (no longer in existence due to a bad conversion crash...sigh), Neighborly Sims. We were working on dividing it out, anyway, and now I want to streamline and set attachment limits.

Sorry to ramble. I just need to know where and how to make that setting. Thank you.
That would need a plugin i believe. I never used attachments, but i'm sure that you need a plugin for listing.
So you want to limit the number of attachments, not how much space they take up... interesting idea, I'll move this to requests and hopefully someone will make it for you.
(2009-08-26, 10:09 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]So you want to limit the number of attachments, not how much space they take up... interesting idea, I'll move this to requests and hopefully someone will make it for you.

I would be OK with just limiting the space...I can do the math, if needs be. Could someone please tell me how to just do THAT? Huh

I'm still at a loss as to where to find that parameter.

Thanks! Smile
I think that's somewhere in the usergroup settings, the limit can be different per usergroup.
OK...I'll look. I know that I actually MADE the limit "unlimited" when I was first setting up the forum, but then (after hours and hours of staring at settings and trying to get them all the way I wanted them) I decided that wasn't the best, and wanted to change it back. Then I couldn't figure out where the setting was. I'm sure I went back through the user groups more than once, but I'll look again, now that I'm not quite so tired out.

I know that your attachments limit here at this forum is 50 MB for a general user. Perhaps whoever set that limit would know more, for sure...?

Thanks.
To set a space quota for each usergroup:

- Go to AdminCP>Users&Groups>Groups
- Select the user group where your registered users are, or the group you would like to set the quota for.
- Click the Forums and Post Tab
- Scroll down and you'll see the Quota option under the Attachment options
Thanks, G33K. I did find this last night. I guess the night before, I was just too brain dead to see the extra tabs in the gruops area! It was simple as pie as soon as I found it.

Then I did the math and figured out how many files of custom content our users would generally upload over 3 months, and how many supporting photos they might add in any given download post, and figured the MAX size they could upload for each, and then allotted each regular user enough space for 50 max-sized uploads. That should actually give them the capacity to upload 75-100 items with photos, since most of our file attachments are around 2 MB at the largest, and the photos are encouraged to be resized/optimized. Then we'll be instructing our members in the use of the User Control Panel to cycle their attachments sensibly, or they won't be allowed to attach anything else. I think this will give us what we want, though I may end up having to revisit those limits and fine tune them. At least I HAVE some control over these things in this type of forum, plus I can force my users to take some of the responsibility, which should be very helpful! Thanks!

I don't know how to do it, but if you need to mark this question SOLVED, please go ahead and do so.