MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Themes You List are Out of Date!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I saw this at the top of the THEMES page:

http://mods.mybboard.net/themes

Quote:A collection of exciting themes to truly spice up your board! Each of the downloads in this section is intended for the most recent version of MyBB (1.4.8). To view downloads for older versions of MyBB, see our archived downloads section.

So...I downloaded about a dozen themes I'd like to try out for my new forum. I tried one (which I decided right away I didn't want, anyway), and to get it to install, I had to take the chance and ignore the "version compatibility" issue.

I thought, "Well...OK...one theme slipped into that list that's not actually compatible with 1.4.8."

NOT!!!

I went ahead and carefully installed the NEXT one I had downloaded. Sure enough, it came up and said, once again, that this theme wasn't compatible with the version of the forum I'm using! HELLO???!!!

What's up with this? I don't have the time to go through this with a dozen themes! If I ignore the compatibility issue, then some of the features implemented in the 1.4.8 version obviously don't work.

I've just gotten everything TO work together, and I sure don't want to turn off the features and mods that I have working now, with the standard default theme!!!

I also don't have the time to go through and change stylesheets to add those things in. That shouldn't have to be my job. If you state that the Themes you have listed are compatible with the newest version, then someone should have already updated them!!!

The specific Themes I would like to look at, are:

Artistic Freedom
Blue Sand
Creative Mind
Fantasy
F Blue
FEC Blue
Harmony Blue
MyBB Sky v2
My VB Serenity
Notebook v1
Notebook v2
Shine
Simo92 Blue
The Dreamers
Webvolution

I do NOT want to bypass compatibility. I simply want the themes to actually BE compatible.

Please help!!!

This is my new website:

Neighborly Sims 3

I really need to get this done very quickly, as I lost my old SMF forum, and I have over 500 members waiting for the new forum to be built.

Thanks.
Well bro, MyBB doesn't update them. The owners do. If you want to apply the tweaks ago ahead.
Hi,

Have you actually noticed any issues with the forum? I am running a theme that was released only a few days after 1.4's initial release on a 1.4.8 version right now and I can't say I am having any trouble.

It could be simply the fact that the theme authors put the version compatibility to 1.4 and not 1.4.x - which would have meant compatibility with any 1.4 version, which should indeed work just fine.
As long as you don't go into archives and get a theme for something before 1.4 everything will work. There has only been minor template changes since the original release of 1.4 and they were more than likely minor bugs missed in beta testing.
Yeah, as long as it is in the 1.4 section it will work fine on 1.4. You'll just need to click the Ignore Version Compatibility, some authors, as Ryan said, just didn't put in the right version to make it fully 1.4 compatible on all versions, you just need to tell it to ignore the version. Bypassing the compatibility doesn't do anything negative, I don't think there are any major CSS or template changes between 1.4 and 1.4.8 and if there are, the author should update it, it's their theme. I had to ignore it on some of my themes too, the work fine.
(2009-08-28, 04:29 AM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]Well bro, MyBB doesn't update them. The owners do. If you want to apply the tweaks ago ahead.

Ummm...I'm not a "bro," and I'm also not very versed in doing the "tweaks!" I've been learning a little, but I would have no idea where to START with updating a theme for the new version! Yikes!

So...I should go to the individual authors of the themes for help, then, rigiht?
(2009-08-28, 05:39 AM)Ryan Loos Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Have you actually noticed any issues with the forum? I am running a theme that was released only a few days after 1.4's initial release on a 1.4.8 version right now and I can't say I am having any trouble.

It could be simply the fact that the theme authors put the version compatibility to 1.4 and not 1.4.x - which would have meant compatibility with any 1.4 version, which should indeed work just fine.

Yes...when I put the theme Clean Cut in, there were at least two things missing on my index page...they were things in mods, of course (I had used the Rules Page mod to add the link in the top list, and the Easy Affiliates buttons didn't show up on the index page.

I would assume that this, then isn't because of the 1.4.8 issue; it's because of the mods. So...could someone please tell me how to "tweak" the correct pages to get those things to show...and what about OTHER mods. This is discouraging.

Right now I'm thinking forget different themes...I just can't deal with it right now...maybe later, after I've gotten used to your type of forum more. Don't get me wrong. I actually love the forum. It has a LOT more good things in it than things that frustrate me. It's just been a long, long, long week after my other forum went down and can't be restored, and there's an issue with so-called "false positives" with current SMF stuff and Spyware Doctor, and then my G drive decided to go out in the midst of this (I have two new drives, now and am playing the last dregs of the "get everything backed up before the drive goes completely dead" game), plus several other things have all just dragged me down. I just can't cope with anything else at the moment. Sorry. I don't mean to be a whiner. I would love to do all this stuff...later.
(2009-08-28, 11:06 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, as long as it is in the 1.4 section it will work fine on 1.4. You'll just need to click the Ignore Version Compatibility, some authors, as Ryan said, just didn't put in the right version to make it fully 1.4 compatible on all versions, you just need to tell it to ignore the version. Bypassing the compatibility doesn't do anything negative, I don't think there are any major CSS or template changes between 1.4 and 1.4.8 and if there are, the author should update it, it's their theme. I had to ignore it on some of my themes too, the work fine.

OK...I'll try a couple of other themes, then, that really looked nice to me. It's a lot more work to put in a theme than I've been used to, and my mind, eyes, and about everything else are pretty much dead these last few days. Again...sorry to be trouble...if you knew me, you'd realize I'm crying right now...but that's just me. Confused
Themes generally aren't going to break anything if they're out of date, either. It's plugins that do that. xD
(2009-08-28, 09:43 PM)StingReay Wrote: [ -> ]Themes generally aren't going to break anything if they're out of date, either. It's plugins that do that. xD

No some do. Because the Authors use quick fixes, which MyBB fixes, then they need to fix it.
OK, TOm, you got a laugh out of me with that one! I've been working through a lot more stuff today, and things are getting in shape. I uploaded a new theme, but haven't imported it yet. I'll let you know how it goes! ;-)
OK...today being a fresh day and my mind being more used to this type of forum, I have now discovered something I wish you all had mentioned to me when I asked my question in the first place. Perhaps this will help some other noob do things correctly the first time.

If I were you (anyone setting up a new forum), I'd go through and do my THEMES first (NOT the plug-ins). The themes are going to pick up on your DEFAULT style. It finally dawned on me that all the problems with putting in the new themes was with the mods (plug-ins), so after putting in Artistic Freedom, and discovering that sure enough, the mods weren't happening, I got a BIG lightbulb over my head.

HEY! Why not deactivate the plug-ins, then activate them again!

Guess what? That solved the problem...for the main part, at least!

The TOP LIST in Artistic Freedom, at least, has only the WORDS showing...no cute little icons...probably because the author didn't put any icons in there or didn't point to the default ones, or something.

When I re-activated the Rules Page plug-in, however, the cute little "keys" icon that goes with the word "RULES" DID show up, so that particular menu link got a different look than the others. I assume that could be solved by looking at some stylesheet, or template, or something, somewhere...not going to happen for me at the present time.

OK, then, I'm off to check out some more themes. I think this time, I'll deactivate ALL the plug-ins, then upload ALL the themes, and then import them, THEN turn back on all the mods. Whew! Now I just need to warn my admin staff that this is happening, so they don't get alarmed!

I guess you can mark this thread RESOLVED now. Thanks!
Glad you got it sorted out. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3