MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: attachment.php question (use in something unrelated to mybb)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was just wondering if I could use Attachment.php in something completely unrelated to MyBB.

Recently my downloads site (was at dl.tabbiestower.info) was bot attacked and I was forced to remove it to prevent another attack. I am forced to code the dl site myself being as I can't find one that suits my needs. But the reason I would like to use attachment.php in the site, is that I want it to be something similar to "file.php?fid=##" instead of a direct link to the file. Mostly this is to prevent leeching. Seeing as I do not know how to have it pull a link out of the database and serve that file but not have a direct link to it, using the file, this would save an incredible amount of time if I just modify it slightly.

Would I be able to use it with or without a linkback giving credit to MyBB for the file?
Considering the MyBB licence is now GPL, if you use the attachments.php from, say, the most recent version of MyBB then you can go right ahead. The only problem is that the GPL forces this new project based on attachments.php to also be under the GPL, meaning you legally must give someone the source to it if they ask for it, and have to include the license somewhere with your project (IIRC you can just copy the license.txt file with your project; note: I'm not a lawyer).
So basically your saying if I use attachment.php then I will be required to have my downloads site GPL as well and the source must be available to download?
Well he is saying that if someone wants your system, you have to give it.
I planned to have it for download when I have it working properly.
(2009-08-28, 06:10 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]meaning you legally must give someone the source to it if they ask for it

Not true at all. You have the right to disclose it or not. To prevent an argument, here's an answer directly from their FAQ: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html...emandACopy
Thank you Imad. That answered my question. Big Grin
(2009-08-28, 08:33 PM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]Not true at all. You have the right to disclose it or not. To prevent an argument, here's an answer directly from their FAQ: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html...emandACopy

Upon wading through the GPL again (located here) it does seem as if you're right. It's a PITA to try and get through because of all of that legalese though. That's why I like the 3-clause BSD licence, it's almost as simple as:

Copyright <when> <author>
All Rights Reserved

You can (if you want) redistribute source and binary as long as
  • The source keeps the copyright notice
  • The binary (if any) has the copyright notice and the rest of this license somewhere (like readme.txt or an About window)
  • You don't use our name to endorse your product without asking us

YOU CAN'T SUE US IF OUR PRODUCT BREAKS SOMETHING.

Of course, I dumbed it down, but not by too much. Were I the OP I'd scrap using attachment.php and completely roll my own from scratch using this license. My current Downloads Manager plugin isn't under the 3-clause BSD, but in the off chance I get around to finishing v2 it will be.

If you need help figuring out how to get the file without a direct link I can help you.
There's absolutely no legal issues with using attachment.php and you don't have to give credit to MyBB for it (though it may be considered a nice thing to do).
I found it easier to just use a button, now to mask the file location, then I'm good.
Pages: 1 2