MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Rules--Where is the Control?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had implemented the Rules Page plug-in, then I tried out some different themes and even though I've now deleted those themes (but not yet the files--wish the delete would just DO that), the Rules Page plug-in no longer works.

I know...that's not your problem...I should take that up with the author.

However, I decided against using it. Instead I've made just a regular Rules post:

http://www.flyingacres.com/NeighborlySim...php?tid=13

Now, I KNOW I saw, somewhere in all the available settings, a way to make those rules more visible at certain times (a link to them at the top of all boards, or something like that), sometime before I first uploaded the Rules Page plug-in.

Now I can't find it. I sure hope by the time I'm ready to do all the changes on the twin forum to this one (Neighborly Sims 2), I'll remember where each type of setting is located!

Please help me find anything to do with RULES!!! Huh

Thank you--Linda
Easy way/ De-activate the plugin, delete from ftp, and then put it back up. If you want to try the hard way, i'll need to download it. But thats okay.
Tom--I've actually already done that...several times over. Every time I take them out, I go back into Admin CP and make sure I'm not seeing either the plug-in in the Plug-Ins list, or the setup panel in the Settings list.

Then I go back to FTP and re-upload the two files...very simple: rules_page.php to the \inc\plugins\ directory, then rules.gif to the \Images\toplist\ directory. Those are the only two files, and I also re-unzipped my original download, to make sure I hadn't corrupted the .php file in some way.

Once I FTP them back into place (mind you--before messing with the different themes, the plug-in worked absolutely fine and correctly), the plug-in shows up in the list, and the settings page appears. But no matter what, the link never again appears at the top right (top list) for any forum pages.

It would seem that one of the themes I tried has messed up some setting somewhere. Right now I'm in the middle of carefully looking at the files I uploaded, and removing them. all. I didn't really care for any of them after looking at them "up close and personal," anyway.

And don't worry about trying to do something about the actual Rules plug-in. I'm fine with just having my usual rules thread...I just thought I remembered that somewhere there was a little control that would put up a link at the top of each forum page, to direct people to any particular rules page you might have. It's no biggie.
Are you thinking about sticky threads or announcements...?? Announcements have a menu in the Forums & Posts tab of the ACP.
Neither one. I was recalling that I changed a setting, somewhere, about a RULES page. In the control panel, somewhere, there was a box in which to type RULES, that would either be displayed on whatever pages I chose, or I could have routed a link to my actual RULES PAGE (not from the plug-in...just a forum thread).

Now I can't find anything like that.
Ohh, there's a setting in each forum to have rules at the top, like in this general support forum; that's just for that one forum though.
I actually just saw that last night, late...thought, "Ohhh!!! THAT'S where I saw that!" There are so many settings, and so many different parts of everything to access! I'm doing better on setting up the second forum

Neighborly Sims 3
Neighborly Sims 2

I have another couple of questions to ask, but I'll put them on their own threads, so others can find the answers easier if they have similar questions.

I'm really getting into this software, and I think it's really great. I want to learn more, so that I can do more of the custom stuff on my own.