MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Email error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i am having a troubling email error, as i cant get either PHP email or smtp email to work.

PHP email i understand, and in testing it seems whatever PHP we have it just isnt going to work.

But smtp should work; i use it on three other boxes (2 nas boxes and one router) connected to the same network, and they all work fine and send email through the same smpt server when appropriate.

the errors i get are as follows (all three errors were generated in response to sending a single email, the xxxxx was the receiver name):

The SMTP server does not support any of the AUTH methods that MyBB supports 08-31-2009, 03:33 PM
Forums [email protected] MyBB was unable to authenticate you against the SMTP server 08-31-2009, 03:33 PM
Forums [email protected] The mail server does not understand the RCPT TO command. Reason: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1) 08-31-2009, 03:33 PM

MyBB Version 1.4.8 New Install
PHP Version 5.2.0-8+etch11
SQL Engine MySQLi 5.0.32

any ideas?

thanks,

mark
By the looks of it, the mail server isn't allowed to send or recieve to that domain (not sure which), so you need to contact your host.
yeah, but it sends/receives via the other 3 boxes; heres another one to another domain:

The SMTP server does not support any of the AUTH methods that MyBB supports 08-31-2009, 04:05 PM
test email [email protected] MyBB was unable to authenticate you against the SMTP server 08-31-2009, 04:05 PM
test email [email protected] The mail server does not understand the RCPT TO command. Reason: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

they all seem to be the same error, and i tried two other domains that the other boxes send to; same error again.

must be something with the auth method? if that dont work then the next 2 errors would likely make sense.

One of the boxes that work has several auth methods to choose from, and i had 'auto' picked. but one of them didnt have any option, just fill in the smtp address, port #, name, and password, same as mybb.

any other tests i can do locally to see whats happening? i dont think its the host.

thanks for the help,

mark
ok, contacted the host, and they said the following:

-----------------
Our SMTP servers require that you authenticate first by using your username and password before being able to send.
You may want to try using the following as the SMTP server (if this application you are running is hosted on the web server here):
mailhub.xxxxxxxx.com
--------------------
but i think they are authenticating, perhaps not the way the other 3 boxes are or what is required by the host.

does this help point us in any productive direction to fix this?

thanks,

mark
more data;

i downloaded/installed a couple smtp diagnostic programs; one called smtp diagnostics, that check each step of the way.

they both show i CAN connect properly, so i believe there is something going on with the bbs software.

one issue; mybb is running on a server BEHIND a nat router which is then connected to the internet; could that be the issue?

anyway, here is the log when i test smtp:

SMTP Diagnostics Report
Trial version. Visit http://www.smtpdiagnostics.com/ for more information.
9/1/2009 8:12:05 PM
Elapse time: 0:00:01.063
Email address: billclinton
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): mymail.xxxxxxxx.com
Port: 25
Subject: [SMTP Diagnostics] Send Test
Connecting to mail server.
Connected.
220 mymail.xxxxxxxx.com ESMTP
EHLO M2N32-SLI
250-mymail.xxxxxxxx.com
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE 15728640
250 AUTH LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5
RSET
250 flushed
MAIL FROM: <billclinton>
250 ok
RCPT TO:<billclinton>
250 ok
DATA
354 go ahead
250 ok 1251861133 qp 20577
QUIT
221 mymail.xxxxxxx.com
Disconnected.

i xxxxx out the site name for security.

heres another program's results:

Detailed test log follows:

Test started Tue, 01 Sep 2009 19:47:40 -0700
Detecting DNS servers ...
DNS server detected: 192.168.1.1
Testing DNS address lookup ...
DNS lookup successful.
Testing DNS MX record lookup ...
MX lookup successful.
Testing direct SMTP connection ...
Connected to the server.
Server reports your IP address: 67.xxx.xx.187
SMTP sniffer detected.
Direct sending successful.
Investigating local SMTP sniffer ...
Local SMTP is being sniffed.
Testing your SMTP server ...
smtp.xxxxxx.us found at 209.xxx.xxx.156
Connected to the server:
mymail.xxxxxxx.com ESMTP
Server error:
sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1) Testing your SMTP server with [email protected]
Connected to the server:
mymail.xxxxxx.com ESMTP
Server error:
sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1) Testing your SMTP server authenticating as [email protected]
Connected to the server:
mymail.xxxxxxxxx.com ESMTP
Authenticated with CRAM-MD5 method.
Sending through the server successful.
Re-testing with arbitrary sender address ...
Connected to the server:
mymail.xxxxxxxxxx.com ESMTP
Authenticated with CRAM-MD5 method.
Sending through the server successful.
Testing turbo mode ...
Your server supports turbo mode.

anything there show what the issue is? both tests show that cram-md5 works, whatever that is. does mybb support that?

thanks,

mark