MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Using Group Promotions for Banning Spammers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm currently testing out using the Group Promotions feature (on internal 1.4.8 installation) to 'relegate' a user to the Banned group if their reputation falls below a certain level i.e. the community give them enough negative ratings to ensure their ability to post spam is revoked.

However, I'm experiencing some funnies with this and not sure I can use the feature in this way. Basically, I've set it to anyone with a rating of -10 is 'promoted' to Banned.

It's not working the way I expect, consistently anyway. I've managed to ban the majority of my test users (despite them not having a negative rating - this could be due to them having the same e-mail address perhaps?).

Anyone used this function for this purpose or able to shed some light on this feature?

Many thanks.
Shouldn't have anything to do with the email address, triple check the requirements are what you think they should be.
<bump>

Anyone know how to mass un-ban users? (large group)
Anyone know how to promote from Banned group successfully?
Anyone using Group Promotions to ban spammers?

Thanks.
I have done the exact same thing and it did work on the test account. I set this up to deal with spammers and trolls if theres no admin / mod about.

Sadly it seems it wont take any action based on negative rep. I tried but none of the live users got banned based on rep. The exception being when I made a mistake banned everyone in positive rep
It's a shame that this doesn't work as it would be a really useful feature...

Can anyone from myBB comment?
Should group promotions work for negative reputations?

The rule I created was:

Ban everyone from original group Registered who has posted less than 100 and has a reputation less than or equal to -5
It'd only work for people who have been active since the last run of the promotions task, that's how it's designed.
Ok, so the next time they log in / attempt to login the ban will be triggered?
I've just tested this and it seems to work as it should.

Can you print screen the settings for the "promotion" if you're still having trouble? Smile
Ran a test there and successfully banned a test account by manually running the task and then logging in as that user - bingo! Banned.

The next step is automating this because I obviously don't have the task manager working correctly...My Next 3 Tasks always show as past dates and never actually run. So even if I ask the Promotion Job to run every minute, it never does...

Think my time is out by an hour too, always had this one hour server differential...could be British Daylight Saving time.

Here's a snap of my settings: [attachment=19814]

Thanks for your help - really keen to get the auto-banning and task manager working correctly!
(2010-09-09, 11:28 AM)olly Wrote: [ -> ]Ran a test there and successfully banned a test account by manually running the task and then logging in as that user - bingo! Banned.

The next step is automating this because I obviously don't have the task manager working correctly...My Next 3 Tasks always show as past dates and never actually run. So even if I ask the Promotion Job to run every minute, it never does...

Think my time is out by an hour too, always had this one hour server differential...could be British Daylight Saving time.

Here's a snap of my settings:

Thanks for your help - really keen to get the auto-banning and task manager working correctly!

Ok, I'll start a new thread on the Task Manager issues... [hint, hint]
Pages: 1 2