MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: LFS or BSDFS anyone?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
And yes, I did type in BSDFS, because I saw it somewhere on FreeBSD's website.

As for me, I am going to try it, merely because I want to know how linux ticks, internally and what not. I guess you don't need to know C or anything, but i'd rather also know that, so I could make my own programs and what not, but has anyone tried either of these E-books?

FreeBSD from Scratch.
LFS
I did LFS a long time ago. Was a nice experience, but didn't last long. It's a huge pain in the lime to keep packages up to date, and compatible to each other, especially if you're not running a small server with just a handful of packages (just the bare minimum you need to get Apache running), but a full blown desktop with graphical environment and everything. I recommend you do this in a Virtual Machine as it really is not much fun to work with.

If you want something that's similar to LFS but actually useable as a system, try Gentoo instead. It's basically LFS fully automated, but it still lets you go down to the basics of things if you want to.

If you want something that's actually useful in real life (as a sysadmin), you're much better off learning the quirks of a popular distro like Debian. Nobody cares about the low-level stuff there (no one manually compiles a package, not even the kernel is customized anymore, you just use a premade one that just works everywhere), however you still have to do awkward things to work around issues of the package management of these platforms.
Me, I've been trying to write an entire OS from scratch. That site is great for info on how a bunch of hardware works, how several filesystems work, and what all happens at a very low level from "push the power button" to "browse the internet." The only problem is that sometimes you need to look something up, but when you finally do your eyes just glaze over due to the sheer amount of information you have to sift through to figure out how to do what you want. That, and all of the boring cruft you have to go through to get to what you really want to work on...
Man Fire you mean from scratch? Like Kernel and on... You should just join up with Reactos Wink
Not as fun. This way I have full control over everything. What I would like to do is re-implement enough of Mac OS X to be able to run Mac programs on PC. A "Mac React OS" if you will. I know there are projects currently out there but some of them have somewhat legally gray overtones (OSx86). I've been thinking about calling my OS "Mock," partially due to sounding a bit like "Mac" and partially because the OS X kernel is based heavily on the open source kernel "mach."

Unfortunately I'm stuck ATM due to life issues and a touch of burnout.
You'll probably need to reverse engineer a number of parts of the Mac OS to do that.
And are there really any worthwhile Mac apps anyway? There's a few professional multimedia applications I know of, though the Windows equivalents are pretty good anyway.
Probably, but you'd be surprised at how much the OS X platform is open.

Also, I didn't exactly say my OS would be a Mac OS X clone, I just said I would like to make it able to run Mac programs, and give it a name based on the kernel OS X actually runs.
Well mac os did start off bsd based.
(2009-09-05, 05:30 AM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]Probably, but you'd be surprised at how much the OS X platform is open.
Okay, I don't know much about OSX (and really don't care TBH Toungue) but if it's all open, why do you need a hack to get it working on non-Mac hardware?

Getting OSX programs to run under a different OS effectively requires you to port the entire (or at least most of) API across.
Well my bud bought an aspire 6395 (I think thats it...) And loved it. So he just used the open mac kernal and it works fine apparently. I have some pics if you want proof.
Pages: 1 2