MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: IE is slow but Firefox is not?!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I did a search for slow browsers and I got 6 pages of results so apologies if this a known issue already.

The board has been running fine as I have been setting it up and posting some threads to get it started. I run Vista with IE or Firefox with no issues. I go to a PC running XP and when I load the site with IE, I can get in but scrolling causes the browser to freeze for up to 10 seconds at a time and then it suddenly scrolls down and then freezes again. The whole site is then basically un-usable because the lag is just too annoying. Same computer, using Firefox there are no problems it works just fine. Last night was talking to one of the members and he complained about this very problem so I asked him what he was using and the answer came back as Vista and IE.

As far as I can tell different versions of IE are causing this issue and was wondering if a fix is available for this? I am using a theme and the email login plug-in but not much more than that.

Any ideas?
Maybe we could actually have your URL so we can see how it is for us and so we can see if there's anything that might be slowing it down....?? Smile
(2009-09-06, 06:07 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]...have your URL so we can see how it is for us
Yeah, ummm...the site is fully locked down, you have to log in to see or use any features and I have no problems creating a test account for you to go take a look see, but let's just say it's not a family site, a private members club for mature adults and so it isn't open to public registration. Since it's not everyone's cup of tea I can give you URL if you think you can handle it PM me.

I'm sure this issue of the slow scrolling browser is not new to my installation and others must have seen this in the past, no?
Just post the URL Sir.
(2009-09-06, 11:22 PM)SirDufus Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure this issue of the slow scrolling browser is not new to my installation and others must have seen this in the past, no?

I have not personally come across it. There are numerous possibilities many not pertaining to MyBB at all Toungue.

Do you have any plugins installed or anything? What theme(s) are you using?

and nathandawe I don't know if mybb would like an adult site being posted(although I think it would depend on the adult site, but based on his response I would say he's doing it out of curiosity).
Internet explorer is really crap for speed - Takes up a lot of memory.

Firefox is fast.
I looked in IE and FF loads great for me?
(2009-09-07, 12:01 PM)nathandawe Wrote: [ -> ]I looked in IE and FF loads great for me?
Yup, FF is not the issue as I've reported, but IE 7 is... I've been able to test it on another machine running XP and IE7 and slow as molasses in January! So for sure the problem exists with that combination but I've had un-verified reports that Vista and IE are causing issues, but cannot duplicate this on my system...

Suggestions anyone?
Well all I can say is FIREFOX IS BEAST BABY! It's probably some HTML/CSS code in the template that doesn't work right with IE.
Hmm, PM me the website and make an account for me. I'd like to see what it looks like. I may be able to tell what kinds of versions or other browsers/problems that could be causing the problem.