MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Input wanted for free virtual servers.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I don't think he minds losing money on this. I think he just doesn't want to lose a ton due to waste.
I won't be losing any money on these at all. The server is paid for and the data center is being paid for by my free hosting revenue. I will need to purchase more IPs but they are so cheap that I'll still be making a profit each month.

As for the VPS specs, I posted them in the first post already and I honestly don't think anybody getting a free server (virtual or physical) can complain about specs. Wink

Right now we have 7 different OS templates to chose from and yes, Debian 4.0 and 5.0 are among them. Big Grin

I'm thinking that the original first post requesting and justifiying the need for a VPS is definitely there. I'm thinking of offering 2 plans: 1 for webmasters (long term) and 1 for developers (short term).
I've posted this same thread on 3 different sites because each targets a different audience. Here I was hoping to get feedback from end users/developers because the members here are among the first I would consider for grabbing these up because of the large concentration of developers here who would put them to use for the greater good of MyBB.
kujoe, keep me posted when it's online Wink
I think the best idea would be monthly posts because you know you are getting something out of it. It also keeps the users updated on status etc. If someone is spamming then just remove their vps with a couple of days notice or something.

IMHO a link back would be fine as I haven't seen any place which offer's something as advanced as a VPS (hosting-wise) for free. :p

As for developer's being short term i'm not too sure. It really depends which type of developer you mean, if it's a web developer testing out scripts then fine. However if you mean a script developer then he/she could want an SVN and/or some sort of project management software which may/should require a long term plan. I'm not sure whether you are going to offer the long/short term plans freely or based on your judgement to their requirements (in general and whether they need it for a website or developing).
(2009-09-07, 10:58 AM)Lennart Sauter Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-09-07, 04:39 AM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]Although I think a justification post with updates would be best. Like they must explain why then need it and then every week prove they are actually using it.

I agree, that would be the best idea. But it needs time to read these posts an to judge them...

I could do that if he wanted.
I'm curious as to how many people would know how to use them considering they don't have a control panel or anything...especially since people who get free hosting are usually less experienced.
Ya, your either going to be linking to a lot of tutorials, doing a lot of support, or a lot installs for people Toungue.
Actually one of the requirements is having knowledge of command line inferface and proving they have worked with linux before. Unless of course they want it to learn in which case that's where I came up with the developement idea of 1-2 months.
Darn. Seems i'm out of this race... Well i wish you luck. You should make an online quiz for it.
I'm just waiting for my data center to setup a new VLAN so I can grab up some new IPs. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4