MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Vs, IPB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been using MyBB now for a while, but i'm considering switching to IPB.
One thing is, MyBB is awesome, but it looks a lot like vbulletin.
And i totally hate that software,
secondly IPB's mods etc are commercial, but so are the usable ones from MyBB, you have to go to sites like mybbcentral or mybbsource.
i came from SMF to MyBB because it was a nicer source.
but SMF was just the site, everything you needed was there, for free.
no need of 3th party sites or need to pay.
Unfortunately, MyBB doesn't share this spirit ( it tried, but it didn't work out, afraid Sad )
Now i'm very bad at waging odds against another.
So i'm going to need help on my decision to stick with MyBB or going to IPB.

The fact that something has cost may be waged, but money isn't an issue.

Hope i get some good feedback that will comfort me on using MyBB or that will happily make me do the switch to IPB.

Thanks in advance,
Robin
(2009-09-08, 08:12 PM)laeresh Wrote: [ -> ]Please note, i will ofcourse not pay for IPB Wink so you can't take the fact of how much it'll cost.
The fact that something has cost may be waged, but money isn't an issue.

well then I hope you forum gets reported.
Sounds illegal.
(2009-09-08, 08:51 PM)xiofire Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds illegal.

not of the issue, please just help with the topic.
To be honest, laeresh, we can't really convince you. You've used MyBB, and you know what it is capable of; if it isn't what you want, then maybe you should look somewhere else?

Saying you're switching from MyBB because it looks too much like vBulletin is, in my opinion, stupid. You can change the way it looks to practically whatever you want. You can even make it look like IPB.
(2009-09-08, 08:12 PM)laeresh Wrote: [ -> ]One thing is, MyBB is awesome, but it looks a lot like vbulletin.

I genuinely cannot see why people think this. It looks nothing like any vB forum I've been on.

(2009-09-08, 09:02 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]Saying you're switching from MyBB because it looks too much like vBulletin is, in my opinion, stupid. You can change the way it looks to practically whatever you want. You can even make it look like IPB.

Agreed. You're not meant to keep using the default theme on a live forum, everyone changes it. And yes, there's a very nice IPB theme around.
vB has nothing to do with MyBB.
I hate vB but I love MyBB
(2009-09-08, 08:56 PM)laeresh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-09-08, 08:51 PM)xiofire Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds illegal.

not of the issue, please just help with the topic.

That is an issue. You have the option of MyBB for free or IPB for practically no benefit. Sounds like piracy for the sake of piracy to me.

Last time I administrated an IPB board we had a huge spam problem and had to take the site offline overnight while we switched back to MyBB, it was that bad. I assume IPB has probably addressed this problem by now though.
IPB isn't a forum software. Its a social network. Don't they eve say that now? To bloated to be anything more.
(2009-09-08, 11:04 PM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]To bloated to be anything more.

That is another point.

From memory IPB also lacked a mod cp when I used it which was a major pain.
Pages: 1 2