MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Tutorial] Save up to 10% of your database.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sounds like an awesome future plugin... Remove subject from replies, disable threaded view, and adding a Subscribe link. Useful, looks good, reduces database size, and increases performance. Big Grin
I replicate "newreply.php" to "newreply-mobile.php" to make Lite (Archive Mode) reply-able at Quick Reply mode Smile
And change this subject variable "RE" to "Mobile-Reply" to detect someone using Mobile Version for replying from Lite (Archive Mode). So I will not remove this variable from template nor database.

Currently I create subdomain m.forum.com: (you can try click and access). Use username/pass "test and testing" to login my demo site. And read third link from above for English News Forum, then try my quick reply from Archive Mode. Sorry, I am not PHP expert Smile
And it will redirect to Lite (Archive Mode). My visitors who have limited internet speed/quota's are happy with this Mobile version. And they can access my forum from ANY mobile phone which support standar xhtml browser (not Wap). And I think, 90% more current mobile phone browser support this. And this will be advantage for your forum. Any member can reply from Lite (Archive Mode), and at this mode, the Extra Subject (RE: ) change to (Mobile-Reply: )

I don't think performance affected to much, but yes it will optimize database few percent (just like TS said). But, Its true, for some people with slow connection, accessing from Lite Mode will help for some situation. I ran more 800 MB database with 800.000 posts more.
Another change I was required to make...

"search_results_posts_post" template..

Change this:
			{$lang->post_subject} <a href="{$post_url}{$highlight}#pid{$post['pid']}">{$post['subject']}</a>

Into this:

{$lang->post_subject} <a href="{$post_url}{$highlight}#pid{$post['pid']}">RE: {$post['thread_subject']}</a>

I see that $post['subject'] is also used in some modcp scenarios too but it's not too important imho as long as front end is fine. I am using asterisk (*) as the character for the database.
What if somebody sends the subject using post (meaning $_POST)?
$_POST and $post are two seperate things.
Pages: 1 2