MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Guests can only see the more recent threads
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I posted about this problem in someone else's thread, but now realise that the problem is different to what I thought it was and probably needs it's own thread. I had thought there was a problem with the number of threads displaying per page to guests, but it seems that the problem is actually that guests aren't allowed to see all the threads, but only a proportion of them. Once someone is logged in the problem goes away and all threads are visible, but when not logged in only the more recent ones can be seen.

The setting for the number of threads can be altered and this changes the number of threads displayed, although not to the number set. For example, if you select 20 threads per page 7 may be shown, if you select 25 threads 9 may be shown and if you select 30 threads 10 per page will be shown. Therefore, the number of pages of threads can be altered, according to how many are shown, but there is still a cut off point beyond which no threads can be seen (although it's not exact - the cut off point varies a little as you change the threads per page, but only a little).

I also noticed that the problem seems to ease as you go through the pages - with a setting of 30 for example, you might get 10 threads on the first page, but on the last but one page you might get 27 - with a setting of 20 you might get 19 on that page but only 7 on the first.

I get the impression that the problem is to do with the number of threads that guests are being allowed to see, which is less than the real number, and therefore they have to be spread more thinly over the number of pages, which remains the same. In other words, since the number of pages of threads remains constant, if all the threads don't show you can't have the correct number per page. The number per page has inevitably to be reduced to spread the limited number of threads over the set number of pages.

Already tried deactivating plugins with no effect. Only guests are affected. If someone signs up it solves the problem for them even if they don't activate their account. Just registering is enough to fix the problem.
So you're sure some threads are actually not being displayed at all, and it's not just the numbers on each page going crazy?? Can you see any correlation between the threads that aren't showing up?? Is it in all forums or just some?? In the settings for an affected forum, what are the Default Date Cut, Default Sort By and Default Sort Order settings set to??
(2009-09-12, 12:17 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]So you're sure some threads are actually not being displayed at all, and it's not just the numbers on each page going crazy?? Can you see any correlation between the threads that aren't showing up?? Is it in all forums or just some?? In the settings for an affected forum, what are the Default Date Cut, Default Sort By and Default Sort Order settings set to??

Yes some threads don't show. The cut off date isn't the same for every forum though. It's not just the numbers on each page going crazy.

The only correlation between the threads that don't show is that they are the earlier ones in each forum. One forum you can go back 6 months, another you can go back 9 months, but the oldest threads in each are 14 months old.

It's happening to all forums. The settings you mention are all set to board default, although looking through the configuation I couldn't find any such board settings??? Maybe this is something to do with it???

I also just found this thread: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-44333.html
I visited the forum from that thread http://featurific.com/support/ and it looks like the same problem exactly. I would have posted there if I'd found that thread before, as I'm sure that guy has the exact same problem.