MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: My shoutbox is overloading the server, what can I do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We have a My bb forum hosted by host gator. They keep disabling the shoutbox sending me this message

I apologize, but I was forced to suspend the script "/home/erikk/public_html/xmlhttp.php" as it was causing a high load on the server, and due to the nature of the problem, I forced to take immediate action for the health of the server. It appears that this script is an ajax chat system and generally scripts of this nature make a lot of requests constantly even when information is not being sent. I would recommend that you remove any auto-refreshing features of it, and make it so that you need to press a button to refresh. However, the original authors of the script might have more information on how to optimize this in such a fashion that it will not cause a load issue again. Please let us know how you would like to proceed.

The direct file causing the load issue is /home/erikk/public_html/xmlhttp.php

Anyone know what I can do to fix this issue and get our shoutbox back running? Thanks
Which modification are you using? As they suggest, you can try changing the settings to stop from automatically refreshing the box. Other alternatives include moving to another host that will allow such a simple script to be run, or removing the plugin altogether. If your forum is expected to keep growing, though, the former option is inevitable.
(2009-09-15, 10:34 PM)oneupdave Wrote: [ -> ]Which modification are you using? As they suggest, you can try changing the settings to stop from automatically refreshing the box. Other alternatives include moving to another host that will allow such a simple script to be run, or removing the plugin altogether. If your forum is expected to keep growing, though, the former option is inevitable.

I don't really understand , we have used hostgator for years. While all of a sudden?

Thanks for the reply.
Because your over loading their server! It's shared hosting you can't expect to live on it for ever. They can't let one user to put strain on the server as it will lower the quality of service of other customers.

You could use a remotely host shoutbox, increase refresh intervals, upgrade hosting.
You can't increase refresh intervals, that's why the problem happend, well that's what the host said.
I agree with NetSage. try to increase the refresh intervals.
for example, if you has 5 seconds refresh intervals, increase it to 30 s or 60 s.
You don't get it, the host said disable it and use a refresh button, so no that won't work.
(2009-09-16, 03:56 PM)JonP Wrote: [ -> ]You don't get it, the host said disable it and use a refresh button, so no that won't work.

No that was just a suggestion to help optimize it, if there is better solutions why not use them.
Just set auto refreshing to 60s and flood to 5s. The settings are there for a reason Wink