MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Tip: Improve Live mail deliverability
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello!

Today I noticed some MyBB mails are thrown into the Junk folder with Live mail users. If you are on a shared host this might interest you: when MyBB sends a mail it assumes the server hostname is the same as your website's name. This isn't true at shared hosts. If you are experiencing the same problem try commenting out line 308 from /inc/class_mailhandler.php so it will look like this:

//$this->headers .= "Message-ID: <{$msg_id}>{$this->delimiter}";

Doing this will cause most popular mailservers (Exim) to generate a Message-ID by theirselves which is probably more correct. Proper mail headers are really important for Live Mail.

Commenting this out immediately got the mail in my Inbox. Also be sure to set up correct SPF records, preferably with '-all' at the end.

Cheers!
So you don't get the "sent of behalf of" Part thingy in the email?
(2009-09-17, 08:47 PM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]So you don't get the "sent of behalf of" Part thingy in the email?

I still get that unfortunately, it's a 'security measure' of Exim that has to be disabled manually.
Thanks!
This helps a little bit to me.
This really a great tip and help me too.. thanks for the post...
This makes a lot of sense actually in regard to all of the problems that have been had with emails. We should put this in as a bug fix.
(2009-09-17, 10:16 PM)FrashMX Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-09-17, 08:47 PM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]So you don't get the "sent of behalf of" Part thingy in the email?

I still get that unfortunately, it's a 'security measure' of Exim that has to be disabled manually.

You still get the "sent on behalf of" even when using SMTP and not phpmail()?
I looked into this. See RFC 2822 3.6.4 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2822

Doesn't look like this change will be implemented into MyBB based on that.
If it improves deliverability, why not?
(2010-05-15, 04:59 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]I looked into this. See RFC 2822 3.6.4 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2822

Doesn't look like this change will be implemented into MyBB based on that.

The MDA will add it anyways. The message-id MyBB is enforcing is totally bogus.
Pages: 1 2