MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Suggestion: MyBB rules (as opposed to vBRules by
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been thinking about something for a bit.
vBulletin has this neat plug-in which let's you have a page for the rules. It's a button (appears on all pages) which directs you to a rule page. Here is the plug-in I'm talking about. For some people's convenience, here are the features:
Quote:FEATURES
  • Automatic generation of the table of contents.
  • Support for multiple rule sections with titles.
  • Support for vB Code, HTML and Smilies.
  • Ability to remove native vBulletin rules from registration system and replace them with your own set of rules.
  • Flexible per-rule settings
  • - Title
  • - Display in Registration
  • - Display in Table of Contents
  • - Allow HTML
  • - Allow Smilies
  • - Allow BB Code
  • - Allow [IMG] Code
  • - Auto Linebreaks
  • - Display Order

Can MyBB have this? I really don't mind if you make it for MyBB 1.6 or make a plug-in for 1.4.8. Please don't forget the "Ability to remove native vBulletin rules from registration system and replace them with your own set of rules" one! If you did make this for MyBB, that would be so awesome!
Also, I would like to say that MyBB is, in my opinion, the best forum software ever, it's free, and it's easy to add plug-ins/modifications! I really loved how you made it and I wish I could help you (but I don't really know how to code!).

(Yes, I do know about the rules plug-in for MyBB, but it doesn't have the features vBRules has.)
I would like to see a similar feature as well, although just a simple 'Enter your board guidelines & a title' would be sufficient enough for me. The registration terms can be changed easily via language strings already. Smile
Yes, but some features like Table of Contents cannot be achieved by editing the language string (and links in the Table of Contents which directs you to the rule).

Someone please extend the plug-in and include the features mentioned there! (It would be cool if The MyBB group made this for 1.6)
Table of contents are easy enough to do already, it's just linking to #rule1, #rule2, etc.
Could you show me how?
Another thing:
Quote:Ability to remove native vBulletin rules from registration system and replace them with your own set of rules.
Support for multiple rule sections with titles.

How can you do those? It would be easier if someone wrote a plug-in for this. Anyhow, can you do those two features without a plug-in? Someone show me how to link to other rules (as Scoutie44 has shown) and those two other features.

One more thing; how are you supposed to make a rules page (eg. example.com/forums/rules.php)? I'm not very knowledgeable at this kind of stuff at this time. Someone help! Sad
Create a help document in admicnp and direct link to it from the header. No need for any plugin.

Also adding everything into the database isn't always the best method. If you have long rules and it's a setting...that's just going to add load to every single page on the site as the $mybb->settings are loaded.

You don't solve every problems with a plugin. Some solutions require you to just use MyBB in a way you may not know about. It certainly doesn't help when people think MyBB works like VB. It doesn't.
(2009-09-21, 06:14 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Create a help document in admicnp and direct link to it from the header. No need for any plugin.

Also adding everything into the database isn't always the best method. If you have long rules and it's a setting...that's just going to add load to every single page on the site as the $mybb->settings are loaded.

You don't solve every problems with a plugin. Some solutions require you to just use MyBB in a way you may not know about. It certainly doesn't help when people think MyBB works like VB. It doesn't.

Plugins was not what I was asking for.

Quote:Support for multiple rule sections with titles.

I'm sure MyBB is capable of doing this already. Correct?
Quote:I'm sure MyBB is capable of doing this already. Correct?

Correct. Just use the help documents. Create a category for "Rules" and then sections with titles. Easy.