MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How much change you have to make to a theme before you can call it your own.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When i ran into mybb a few weeks ago i tried out a few themes, just to see if i liked one. I deleted all of them but one. A fresh black by Justin S.

It wasn't quite what i wanted, so i started modifying. Then I couldn't stop modifying. Now it looks totally different (it's not even black anymore rofl)
None of the original icons are used. I rearranged the entire layout. Removed columns, etc.

I don't think people would even notice if i removed the theme copyright, but i just want to be sure if it's allowed.
That work is originally Justin S. work. I understand that you are possibly learning as you go, and just using Justin S. theme as a template, but his theme is still using codes created originally by him.

Just put yourself in his position, what would you think if someone considered your work their own, when they didn't go through those dark and lonely nights, going through trial and errors to fix bugs on the theme.
I know what you mean, but there really is a big difference. I ripped out a lot of Justin's code to replace it with mine. I made changes to the corecode to let the template do what i want.

I dont mind much about his copyright being there (i can always add a "modified by") . It might just confuse people because my forum doesn't look like any theme at all.

Maybe i try to PM Justin when i am done what he thinks of it.
Link to your forum?
Quote:Maybe i try to PM Justin when i am done what he thinks of it.
That would be the best idea.

I'm also curious as to what your forum looks like now :3
(2009-09-22, 06:09 AM)BluEditor Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Maybe i try to PM Justin when i am done what he thinks of it.
That would be the best idea.

I'm also curious as to what your forum looks like now :3

Is it ok to PM you the link? (Since we are not "live" yet)
Sure?
I have PM-ed both of you link
Ignore all the testthreads lol
This is what the register page looks like for me. So I can't register:

I haven't seen a forum do what you've done there yet. Pretty unique.

I'd just recommend your own suggestion, contact the author.
Anyways, hope you fix the problem, I'd like to register and see where your forum goes.

Good luck.

Edit: Ignore me tabs xD hehe
Edit 2: Removed image to avoid exposing your forum link. Going to send you the image via pm.
(2009-09-22, 06:25 AM)BluEditor Wrote: [ -> ]This is what the register page looks like for me. So I can't register:

I haven't seen a forum do what you've done there yet. Pretty unique.

I'd just recommend your own suggestion, contact the author.
Anyways, hope you fix the problem, I'd like to register and see where your forum goes.

Good luck.

Edit: Ignore me tabs xD hehe

Thanks for letting me know about the register page lol. Not sure how i did that rofl. You can post without registering too btw. Gonna :zzZ: now, will fix it later. I 'll make a post in showcases when it's done. Thanks for your time!

And thanks for removing pic! Big Grin
Pages: 1 2