MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Newbie here. Replies don't thread. I feel stupid.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What am I missing?

I just installed MyBB about a week ago and overall am very, very happy with it. This is the first forum I've EVER installed and tried to run and I can't believe how easy it was to get up. (Lucky it's for a very small group so we'll probably survive my inexperience).

Anyway, the one thing that really is making no sense to me is that I can't figure out how to reply to a specific post in a thread, and the delivered help doesn't seem to say. I have tried clicking the checkbox in the upper right. I've tried using quote. I've tried using "quick reply" vs. "New Reply".

To clarify: after any of the above methods of posting a reply, still when I go to "Threaded" view, my reply was posted to the original psot, i.e. the thread is flat.

Anyone want to help out this newb? Thanks in advance!

(edited to change post options & clarify)

I think it'd be helpful for a link~ so we can see first hand what you're talking about.
PHP_Paul Wrote:I think it'd be helpful for a link~ so we can see first hand what you're talking about.

Um, yeah, I know. Sad But so far I've only installed a private forum. Guess I should put up a public sandbox for troubleshooting huh?

I guess if someone just asked, "how do I post a reply to a reply, so that it shows up threaded, rather than a reply to the original post?", what would be the steps?

If I'm not making it clear enough for anyone to give me an answer, that's okay, we can live with it for now. I really don't think it's the software that's the problem, I think I just haven't figured it out.

Also forgot to mention I am using Firefox. I guess I should test in IE and see if it behaves the same. But I just hate IE. Wink
Try clicking the quote button below the post you want to reply to.
DennisTT Wrote:Try clicking the quote button below the post you want to reply to.
Okay, I am trying that here. I went into threaded mode first. (Because I have tried it in the default mode, which I guess is "Linear", and it doesn't work.)

Let's see...

(edited to change post title)
moxrox Wrote:
DennisTT Wrote:Try clicking the quote button below the post you want to reply to.
Okay, I am trying that here. I went into threaded mode first. (Because I have tried it in the default mode, which I guess is "Linear", and it doesn't work.)

Let's see...

Hmmm. I guess if people change their post titles that will help. Threaded view still didn't indent the post though, even though it was a reply to a reply.

Hmmm...

Thanks, DennisTT.

Still not working the way I'd hoped. 'sokay though, I'll live. Some other forums I've seen don't even pretend to thread.

Sad
moxrox Wrote:
moxrox Wrote:

Let's see...

Hmmm. I guess if people change their post titles that will help. Threaded view still didn't indent the post though, even though it was a reply to a reply.

Hmmm...

In 1.0 and 1.01 there is a bug that prevents the posts from being indented. You can fix it by editing two templates:

Admin CP --> Templates --> Modify / Delete --> Expand your template set --> showthread_threaded_bitactive

Replace the whole existing template with the code below:
<div style="margin-left: {$indentsize}px;"><strong>$post[subject]</strong> <span class="smalltext">- $lang->by $post[username] - $postdate $posttime</span></div>

Admin CP --> Templates --> Modify / Delete --> Expand your template set --> showthread_threaded_bit

Replace the whole existing template with the code below:
<div style="margin-left: {$indentsize}px;"><a href="showthread.php?tid=$tid&amp;pid=$post[pid]&mode=threaded">$post[subject]</a> <span class="smalltext">- $lang->by $post[username] - $postdate, $posttime</span></div>

That should make the post list indent correctly Smile