MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Manipulating XML files is so easy with PHP!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Why would anyone use ordinary text files? It takes 3 lines of code to update an XML file!

/new thing learnt today
Maybe not everyone knows how? (I don't lol)
why use xml anyways? Toungue

but im curious about this, tell me some more Smile
Manipulating MySQL with Php is so easy - why'd I bother to use XML? Big Grin
(2009-09-23, 02:32 PM)Lennart Sauter Wrote: [ -> ]Manipulating MySQL with Php is so easy - why'd I bother to use XML? Big Grin

You don't have to install MySQL? XML is great for small pieces of information. Config, Language and settings are three things that are great to have as XML.
Not to mention things you'd like to be able to send to other people, like MyBB does with themes/template sets.
XML is being used everywhere now. Even Microsoft took advantage of it with Office 2007 (it's what the x in docx stands for).

http://www.theukwebdesigncompany.com/art...ntages.php
(2009-09-23, 04:51 PM)Martin M. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-09-23, 02:32 PM)Lennart Sauter Wrote: [ -> ]Manipulating MySQL with Php is so easy - why'd I bother to use XML? Big Grin

You don't have to install MySQL?

Thats exactly it, it is on a cooperate intranet which doesn't have MySQL installed.
(2009-09-23, 11:28 PM)TimB. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-09-23, 04:51 PM)Martin M. Wrote: [ -> ]

You don't have to install MySQL?

Thats exactly it, it is on a cooperate intranet which doesn't have MySQL installed.

Well with this how would you make it only the server or site can read the xml file as it would not make a good config file or storing important info as any would go to www.website.com/whatever.xml to read it.
(2009-09-24, 03:05 AM)ChrisR Wrote: [ -> ]xml file as it would not make a good config file or storing important info as any would go to www.website.com/whatever.xml to read it.

Yeah but what information do you have to store that is important, you don't have MySQL logins and for user passwords they are already encrypted with MD5 and a salt (which is stored in a .php file so they can't read it). (This is the case in my system, obviously I am not saying it is better than MySQL, I am actually converting my MySQL CMS to use text/XML files just for this one job, I am just saying it is better than plain text files)
Pages: 1 2 3