MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: subscription methods
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey Big Grin how can I make it so that when a user signs up the subscription method shown on the signup process if shown as 'Email subcription'. cheers
You shouldn't really, it's against the law in some countries, emails like that have to be opted into.
Most forums I do HAVE IT set as DEFAULT method when you sign up in the registration forM, you just change it to something else as you register if you do not want it.
That doesn't mean it's right.

Read from this post onwards: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-540...#pid383192

There's other reasons not to do it there too, might get classed as spam, host limits etc etc.
those forums are v bulletin forums Smile
Undecided Yes, that's just an example, the law doesn't only apply to vB forums...
Well then surely those sites need taking them down. All the forums I register too I get default subscription via email even if I did not subscribe, because on the sign up form it is already selected as a method, and as you go through registration you can change it to something else before you sign up.
Well, it's up to you, the query to do it is in that thread, you can do it if you really want but it'll probably just annoy people, and you'll likely hit host limits very quickly or get added to email blacklists. If an email is being sent to every user who posted in a thread every time a new reply is made, you could be looking at a few thousand emails a day.