MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Link Checker Bot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm new to MyBB so I apologize if this is in the wrong area etc.

I've made a Link Checker Bot for other forums and its working perfectly on vBulletin, PHPBB Workpress etc but need help testing it on MyBB. If anyone want's to help or give feedback it would be welcome.
The link checker bot is stored on another server so it won't slow your site down and makes it easier to install. This also reduces the errors and problems that may occur to your Database and eliminates the need to update which is a major problem with many link checker bots. It creates a new pop-up window displaying the links that you can fully customize to match your skin. You can change almost everything. The size of the popup window, the frame and even the background to match your existing site. If any links are dead it records the page and info for the staff to view allowing them to remove or re-upload the links keeping your members happy. Currently it supports 38 file hosts but more can easily be added if requested.

For Webmaster Admin Demo visit
Username: demo
Password: demo
Universal Link Checker Login

Download mod here: MyBB Link Checker

and you can get more info in general at Universal Link Checker

If anyone has any feedback, questions or suggestions I'd be happy to help/answer. Thank's.
(2009-09-26, 01:50 AM)Mr Happy Wrote: [ -> ]/.../
www.linkzbot.com/login.php
/.../

404 Not Found
Hi, appreciate your effort but is it possible to have something integrated?
Like checking links right from the forum itself without any popups or redirection?
(2009-09-27, 06:33 PM)DamYan Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-09-26, 01:50 AM)Mr Happy Wrote: [ -> ]/.../
www.linkzbot.com/login.php
/.../

404 Not Found

Really sorry about that. I changed the address of the login page while updating the skin but forgot to change it here.
Universal Link Checker Login

Sorry about that. I've updated the first post too.
(2009-09-27, 06:45 PM)nyunyu Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, appreciate your effort but is it possible to have something integrated?
Like checking links right from the forum itself without any popups or redirection?

Well I was trying to make the pop-up window so customizable that it would appear 'integrated' into your site. Not sure how good you are at coding but if you wanted instead of having it as a popup window you could integrate it into your site as an iframe. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible though as Link Checker Bot's are notoriously troublesome. They take a lot of resources and can really slow a site up. Also a lot of hosts and servers can't run a link checker due to the security risks involved. As a result I won't be making one which you host on your site or server.

Having it check the links on loading the page automatically (without the visitor requesting) also severely impacts on the loading of the page as a visitor has no idea how many links are contained in a page before it's opened. If a page has a hundred links the page could take 3-5 minutes to open by which time the visitor would have left. I've done multiple tests and that's why I have it so the visitor requests the links are checked in a pop-up window as the pop-up window can be easily closed if their are a lot of links and the visitor grow's impatient un-affecting your site.

I hope this answers some (and hopefully more) of the questions you had, however if you have more be sure and ask and I'll do my best to help or answer.
No, what I meant was instead of showing popup which redirect user to another page, why not doing something like ajax style, meaning user click on "check links" and then the status appear on the right side of that link.

Code: [check links]
http://rapidshare.com/link1.zip

When clicked on "check links" it shows
Code: [checking...]
http://rapidshare.com/link1.zip [loading image][link is ok!]

So that would not put unnecessary extra load to the server as it only run when user click on it..right?

Hope you are not getting offended by this suggestion, it is a suggestion afterall.
Oh, if you are going to make this integrated, then by all mean I don't mind having a link back to your site on the footer. Something around "Linkchecker plugin by linkzbot" Smile
Thanks.
(2009-09-29, 01:51 PM)nyunyu Wrote: [ -> ]No, what I meant was instead of showing popup which redirect user to another page, why not doing something like ajax style, meaning user click on "check links" and then the status appear on the right side of that link.

Code: [check links]
http://rapidshare.com/link1.zip

When clicked on "check links" it shows
Code: [checking...]
http://rapidshare.com/link1.zip [loading image][link is ok!]

So that would not put unnecessary extra load to the server as it only run when user click on it..right?

Hope you are not getting offended by this suggestion, it is a suggestion afterall.
Oh, if you are going to make this integrated, then by all mean I don't mind having a link back to your site on the footer. Something around "Linkchecker plugin by linkzbot" Smile
Thanks.

Ah right. Now I understand you and know what you mean. Ya that's not a bad idea..... pretty good actually. It could take a lot more work though. I'd have to think about what would be the best way of doing it. To be perfectly honest the way this is coded, it will work on every type of site, vBulletin, Wordpress, SMF, IPB, phpbb etc. If I couldn't find a way where the same code couldn't be used for every site it's unlikely I'd do it to be honest as their wouldn't be enough of a demand for just MyBB and I wouldn't code one for every type of forum. I'll have to have a think about it.
vbulletin and phpbb already has link checker plugin and are pretty good.
Mybb lack of this plugin and so far I haven't seen any.
ha thats a very good idea =D
(2009-10-14, 10:14 PM)i88power88 Wrote: [ -> ]ha thats a very good idea =D
Thanks Smile
(2009-10-01, 03:56 PM)nyunyu Wrote: [ -> ]vbulletin and phpbb already has link checker plugin and are pretty good.
Mybb lack of this plugin and so far I haven't seen any.
Neither currently have a fully working one. Trust me I know the developers of some of the existing ones and they've told me of serious flaws in them. As I said earlier the advantage of this is it's on a different server reducing most of the errors and the need to constantly update.

Anyway. Right I've developed a script like you wanted written in javascript and ajax that will do this. It will add either a little red 'x' or a green tick beside the link in the post. It's a Public Holiday this weekend where I am which I'm going away for but will start testing it when I come back. If your interested in helping me test it let me know. PM me your site and or MSN or post them here. That goes for anyone interested.
I can't download the plugin the links are dead
Pages: 1 2