MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Requirement Check error- Files listed as 'Not Writable'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
New user and new to forum installation. Tried searching the Installation forum but could not find any information.

Detailed description of problem:
--Uploaded MyBB files to my website using FileZilla (new FileZilla user also)
--Change the permissions of the below listed files as recommended in the instructions:
./inc/config.php 666
./inc/settings.php 666
./cache/ 777
./cache/themes/ 777
./uploads/ 777
./uploads/avatars/ 777

--When I run the installer the 'Requirement Check' page tells me that all the files are 'Not Writable'
--Going back to FileZilla I see the 'xxx' and not the numbers. Also, all the permission boxes (Owner/Group/Public) (Read/Write/Execute) are checked and grayed out, even for the config.php and settings.php files. All I can do is change the 'Numeric value' box to change the 'xxx'.
--Changed the file permissions again but get the same 'Not Writable' error.

Questions:
---Is this an issue (or setting) with the host server? Or, is there something else I am missing on the installation?
---Is the graying of boxes on FileZilla the default?

Here is the text from the Requirements Check page:
Requirements
PHP Version: 5.2.0
Supported DB Extensions: MySQL Improved, MySQL, PostgreSQL
Supported Translation Extensions: Multi-Byte, iconv
PHP XML Extensions: Installed
Configuration File Writable: Not Writable
Settings File Writable: Not Writable
Cache Directory Writable: Not Writable
File Uploads Directory Writable: Not Writable
Avatar Uploads Directory Writable: Not Writable

---This is a new/fresh installation v1.4.9
---New FileZilla user also.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

[Wiki: CHMOD_Files] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)
[Wiki: HowTo_Chmod] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)

You need to CHMOD them by right clicking them in FileZilla, clicking File Permissions, and settings them appropriately. Type the number into the box and press OK.
That is what I did initially but it did not work. What I do not quite understand is that if the file settings have all boxes checked, shouldn't they be already writable?

Also, if I change config.php and settings.php to 666, which removes the 'Execute' checkbox, when I look back the settings they appear to revert back to default. See attached pics.

One file shows you the 666 setting before selecting 'Ok'. The other pic shows you setting after you click 'Ok' and go back to check the setting, which coincidently it is the same default setting for all files.
[attachment=15514]

[attachment=15515]
If your changes aren't saving then I'd ask your host, nothing we can do on our end, maybe they have some weird settings somewhere.