MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: LONG LONG rules.. or.. really short and easy rules?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was wondering.. Do users actually care if rules are too long and there's a lot of serious business on it? I prefer simpler, user-friendly rules. Like a "no" summary and a "ok" summary.

Maybe if a forum starts getting big, then yeah something more of a serious business thing. And give it a profissional name, other than rules.. people often use just "Rules" but I once used Terms of Use.

meh :|
only 1-10 users actaully read teh rules.
Indeed. I would suggest you to take a look at the way, the "creative commons" licenses are handled - they have one quick overview about the "can-do" and "can't-do"s and then they have an addditional long text for lawyers.
Might be a good idea?
Short rules. But always have 1 out...rule.

i.e.

#3. No nonsense and use common sense when posting

Then you can warn or ban for lots of stuff that should be common sense...like cross posting or spamming. It's stupid you should need a rule for "No Spamming".

The shorter the rules imho for a new forum the better.
I just don't have rules. The rules are the same for every forum and no one reads them. If I don't like something I just give a warn or a permanent ban and I don't care if the user doesn't like it. Its my website and I do what I want with it. Anyway the first time someone breaks my rules, I just tell them what to do next time or I'll give that user a warning or a ban
(2009-09-28, 03:24 PM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]only 1-10 users actaully read teh rules.

That's usually the case until they break them :p
I've been banned at www.acctrade.org 7 times for spam and more, and now i'm team. Still haven't read it xD
(2009-09-28, 05:11 PM)Pirata Nervo Wrote: [ -> ]I just don't have rules. The rules are the same for every forum and no one reads them. If I don't like something I just give a warn or a permanent ban and I don't care if the user doesn't like it. Its my website and I do what I want with it. Anyway the first time someone breaks my rules, I just tell them what to do next time or I'll give that user a warning or a ban

Well, if your forum is one of thousands which are similar, yes.
I had to make additional rules for a lot of projects, for example how to write an artcle into the CMS at zaiendo.de
You can't just ignore rules at all I think Smile Most sites can't.
(2009-09-28, 07:20 PM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]I've been banned at www.acctrade.org 7 times for spam and more, and now i'm team. Still haven't read it xD

Similar story for myself here: http://consolecaliber.com/forums/forums.html
Just not banned. Handful of infractions when we were on vB though.

As far as rules go, I don't know. Most will just tl;dr them, but if you clearly specify what not to do, it's a simple 'you didn't read the rules' when they do something wrong, and you don't have to worry about the drama that generally follows non-sufficient ban reasons. :/
(2009-09-30, 01:28 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-09-28, 07:20 PM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]I've been banned at www.acctrade.org 7 times for spam and more, and now i'm team. Still haven't read it xD

Similar story for myself here: http://consolecaliber.com/forums/forums.html
Just not banned. Handful of infractions when we were on vB though.

As far as rules go, I don't know. Most will just tl;dr them, but if you clearly specify what not to do, it's a simple 'you didn't read the rules' when they do something wrong, and you don't have to worry about the drama that generally follows non-sufficient ban reasons. :/

Its a common thing really. A Smod there was banned for flaming the Root admin, threating etc etc. He turned around. Now he fights fires and newbs.
Pages: 1 2