MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Spam bots spamming calendar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There were over 939 events spammed on MyBB calendar on one of my forums.

What is the process of deleting these entries to the database?
I can beat that, I had over 5000 once Toungue

Run this query:

TRUNCATE `mybb_events`;

That will also delete legitimate events too, if there are any, but that's the quickest way to remove the spam.
Please explain where and how to run it.

Shouldn't the coders build this function into future versions of MyBB ?
No, you can already limit who can post events via usergroup settings.

You need to run that code in phpMyAdmin.
By default, spiders are part of the "guests / unregistered" group. If spiders can post events to your calendar, that means guests can, too! Not a smart way to leave things. Edit group permissions pronto.
Yes, one must go over user groups carefully, I just reset them on one of my vB forums.

On my MyBB forums I just disabled the calender function altogether.

I think MyBB dev's need to have the calender disabled by default in the next script update.
Why would we disable it by default...?? Undecided It's up to the administrator to administrate their board and make sure guests etc can't post events, we're not going to keep turning off features and do your job for you...
Because all forum software producers should be aware that new forum operators do not know the specific targets of spam bot operators until it is too late.

This seems to be an open door for spammers on MyBB.

PS: It is stupid to allow guests to post anything.
It's an 'open door' for any software, it isn't like MyBB is the only forum to have calendar spam...
It is a suggestion for the dev's, if you guys want spam bots to attack your software installations, keep it as is.
Pages: 1 2