MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mass purging of spam bot members
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I need to purge thousands of members (spam bots) who joined but never activated their forum accounts.

Where is the tool to sort members and delete them?
To delete all users in the awaiting activation group, you'd need this query:

DELETE FROM `mybb_users` WHERE `usergroup` = '5';

Note that this will also delete legitimate users who haven't activated their account yet, if you'd want to keep them, we can amend the query for you.
No, I don't want to keep them.

Maybe in future versions you guys can update the script to sort this out within the ACP using a tool.

Thank you for your continued help and support Matt !!
This is probably just me being simple, but how do you know who is a non-activated legitimate user and who is a spambot?
If a user never activates their account, most likely you can purge them from clogging up your database, you can bet that if you have thousands of these that 99% of them are spam bot registrations.
Out of curiosity what side effects does this cause if any? It seems the forums bottom section still thinks i have 800 plus members

Thanks

**** JUST REALIZED THAT IT WAS CACHED, CACHE MANAGER and then rebuilt stats cache fixes the problem.**********
What do you mean side effects ?

Once you purge your bad members, you need to run your counter resets in forum maintenance.
(2009-10-01, 11:10 PM)AVC Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe in future versions you guys can update the script to sort this out within the ACP using a tool.

Using the "Add setting" function, there must be a way to run that SQL query directly from the admin cp.
No, you can't run a query from the ACP just by adding a setting... if you added a setting called test you'd be able to use {$mybb->settings['test']} in the forum, not run an SQL query with it from the ACP...
(2009-10-16, 03:33 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]No, you can't run a query from the ACP just by adding a setting... if you added a setting called test you'd be able to use {$mybb->settings['test']} in the forum, not run an SQL query with it from the ACP...

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.
Pages: 1 2