MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: offering ad free vs ad hosting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
so i was going through a list of mybb hosts and a lot of people are offering adfree MyBB hosting.

Just a quick ...sarcastic question... how long will these ad free guys host your forum

its great if they offer it with some restrictions...as a trial for people who wanna start a forum to see if it goes anywhere ...then if it does options to upgrade to paid hosting but seriously

a host offering ...unlimited space and b/w for free
WOW
maybe i'll just go outside and BURN some more hundred dollar bills

fact is unless you own your own server ( dunno how they pay for b/w then) i do not think that i would ever even consider getting on a free host that offers unlimited everything, unless i see that they have a solid plan for money making outside of that free hosting..

just a thought and a rant Toungue
Ad-free is profitable if done right. Just ask KuJoe he does it Toungue.

Although if I was to ever become a free host I would offer both (of course the ad receiving more).
How could ad-free possibly be profitable? Especially if the host is on a good-quality server.
idk, kujoe does it I'm guessing by the ads on the main site(not hosted sites).
Ad-free forum hosting can make A LOT more money than ad-free web hosting. I run my own servers that I build myself and host in a local data center and my advertisements on my main sites + error pages help me make a profit each month.

To be honest, my ads on my main site get more views but the ads on my error pages (optional for clients) make all of the income so if I were running a forum host where the error pages are not optional I could be making a lot more than I do with my free host. But before I started putting ads on my error pages my main site advertisements were making enough for my monthly expenses when I was renting 2 dedicated boxes. Ad-free to me means that there will not be any advertisements displayed on your pages and, if coded correctly, your regular users should rarely ever get a 404 error.

Forum hosting sites rarely offer FTP access so the disk space is limited to the initial installation, attachments, and database so even an active forum will hardly use any disk space. Bandwidth is usually not an issue if you're not hosting big files or images for users to download.

So in short: Ad-free forum hosting = less resources, higher income.