MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Chmod Installation Step Necessary?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

I think I have successfully installed mybb before a couple months ago skipping the chmod step. The board seem to work fine and did not give me any trouble when I used it briefly before taking it down...

Anyways, I am in the process of installing mybb again now on a new url. I reread the install wiki to refresh myself with the install process and now I am wondering...just to make sure things run smoothly in the long run...is it necessary to chmod all the files listed to be chmod??? My site is hosted with Hostgator...I did chmod on my first install via filezilla FTP but it seemed tedious so i skipped it the second time around and the board worked fine from what I can tell I only used it a couple weeks though....

Thanks! Cool
Yes, if they're in that list it be CHMODd, it's for a reason, they're not just there for the sake of it, things won't work if they're not set right... you can't 'skip' the step, some hosts can just automatically CHMOD the files/folders for you so you don't have to do it but they're still being CHMODd. After the installation you can CHMOD ./inc/config.php to 444 if you want but everything else must keep it's extra permissions.
You will need to CHOMD to get all MyBB files working properly.