MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I wish to start to learn how to program
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2009-10-07, 01:00 AM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]Personally if you want to program, i think Java is the way to start? They teach it in most schools.

T0m, do you think it would be easier to Java then move to JavaScript or would it be easier to learn JavaScript then learn Java? Which would have the lowest learning curve?
Javascript is for websites. Like i said before, if you want to use your stuff on a desktop use java. You want something on your site, php. imho js is annoying.
afaik java =/= javascript
Let me put this in simplest terms.

Learn PHP First = Know PHP in 2-6 months.

Learn PHP Later = Know PHP in 6-??? months.

The longer you put it off, the longer you'll go without knowing it.
Java is really easy to learn, but I think you want to do web development, so go for PHP. Almost any host will support this language by default, while you'd have to search for specific hosts that allows you other languages.

(2009-10-07, 12:30 AM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]I honestly don't believe JavaScript is the most useful language. In general, the only JS you will need you can just copy and paste from a tutorial.

Well, that's probably because you don't know how useful it is. Though it have downsides with some browsers that have JS disabled... but many sites won't work without JS this days so bah Toungue
(2009-10-07, 02:05 AM)combus Wrote: [ -> ]Java is really easy to learn, but I think you want to do web development, so go for PHP. Almost any host will support this language by default, while you'd have to search for specific hosts that allows you other languages.

(2009-10-07, 12:30 AM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]I honestly don't believe JavaScript is the most useful language. In general, the only JS you will need you can just copy and paste from a tutorial.

Well, that's probably because you don't know how useful it is. Though it have downsides with some browsers that have JS disabled... but many sites won't work without JS this days so bah Toungue
It's useful to learn when you want to make browser side affects, most of which aren't really useful. My negative outlook on JS is probably inspired by all of the newbs that overuse JS on their simple websites just because they can.

JQuery and AJAX I actually find interesting and it does have useful features, but JQuery isn't really used outside of design and AJAX uses more than just JS.
(2009-10-07, 02:15 AM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-10-07, 02:05 AM)combus Wrote: [ -> ]Java is really easy to learn, but I think you want to do web development, so go for PHP. Almost any host will support this language by default, while you'd have to search for specific hosts that allows you other languages.

It's useful to learn when you want to make browser side affects, most of which aren't really useful. My negative outlook on JS is probably inspired by all of the newbs that overuse JS on their simple websites just because they can.

JQuery and AJAX I actually find interesting and it does have useful features, but JQuery isn't really used outside of design and AJAX uses more than just JS.

JS is used to create a rich user experience. Is the only languange in which you can control browser events, and do stuff with it live. And with implementation of AJAX, you can make a load of stuff in a more user friendly way. jQuery is mostly known to make animations, but is not limited to it at all. Many core functions of jQuery are really really useful, and you can use AJAX with this framework too, and make amazing (not only on the visual part, but also in efficient and effective way) things quickly.
I guess PHP is more suitable as it easier than the other languages. You can easily cope up with it
Anyway guys, I decided on going with php..

Any free php ebooks you can recommend?
Books will also suffice as well
Pages: 1 2 3 4