MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Forced Introductions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm a member of a pit bull forum and before I was allowed to have posting rights I was required to make an qualified post in their introduction forum. The mods are serious and make sure a well written and detailed introduction is completed before they grant normal user permissions.

I'm not sure why this is done. Perhaps its to curb all spam from the fourm or perhaps they feel it makes for a better community.

What is your take on this practice? Do you think it would be helpful from a forum admin point of view?
I would never do it, because it could drive some members away, and I am to lazy to read everyone of them Toungue
I'm guessing it has something to do with dog fighting and immature owners. A lot of anti-social youths with dogs like these may find the internet a good place to discuss training your dog the wrong way. If there objective is to deter crime on the forums by driving immature members away i guess it can be acceptable.
(2009-10-07, 11:21 PM)rhydian Wrote: [ -> ]I'm guessing it has something to do with dog fighting and immature owners. A lot of anti-social youths with dogs like these may find the internet a good place to discuss training your dog the wrong way. If there objective is to deter crime on the forums by driving immature members away i guess it can be acceptable.

You make a good point. I was thinking maybe it was a new trend in the forum admin community.
You could change teh redirect after validations to create a new thread in a forum. No idea how though.
I could see this being a useful tool in some applications, as a poster above stated, however typically, websites are trying to grow in their member base even if the users aren't contributing A++ posts, rather than pick and choose one.