MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Plugins "phoning home"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Creeps me out. I would be a little afraid if my theme/mod was calling me Toungue
MyTracker calls home everytime its Control Panel is loaded. It gets the latest news and checks whether the version is out of date. Really bad coding, but I haven't had time to change it yet - it should store things in the database and only check it every two weeks or so.

MyNetwork has that better coding that does check versions automatically every two weeks. It doesn't collect any information from the connecting site - it merely tells it what the latest version is.

To be honest, that's as far as my plugins go. They don't contact home if someone removes a copyright, or does something to it they shouldn't do - that's a waste of time. Contacting home to make sure you have the most up-to-date version is almost vital in some plugins IMO.

With Auto-Upgrade... well, that's a different kettle of fish... Shy
Am i the only one who thinks auto update is a bad idea? All you need to do to hack hundreds of forums, is hack this server..
I'm sure Chris has this server pretty locked down. Wordpress never seems to have any problems...
(2009-10-14, 09:47 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure Chris has this server pretty locked down. Wordpress never seems to have any problems...

I was pretty sure Labrocca had Hackforums tighter then (can't say here... (And no it isn't a female, it was another joke to do with the novel shawshank redemption) Every great wall, will one day fall.
(2009-10-15, 01:23 AM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]I was pretty sure Labrocca had Hackforums tighter then (can't say here... (And no it isn't a female, it was another joke to do with the novel shawshank redemption) Every great wall, will one day fall.

Even without auto-update, if some kids compromise the server then some people might just update manually anyways.

I would probably lol, and my face would later be D:
(2009-10-15, 01:23 AM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]Every great wall, will one day fall.

If you believe that, then the millions of users of Wordpress are at severe risk. Shy
Well back on the topic of plugins... I didn't mean for piracy or license violations I meant for reporting such as the developer putting a counter on their site saying "Installed # times!".
(2009-10-15, 07:47 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-10-15, 01:23 AM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]Every great wall, will one day fall.

If you believe that, then the millions of users of Wordpress are at severe risk. Shy
One day they will be. It will happen. No one is the greatest.

(2009-10-15, 08:16 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Well back on the topic of plugins... I didn't mean for piracy or license violations I meant for reporting such as the developer putting a counter on their site saying "Installed # times!".
Thats weird. I thought you meant email. To stop that just use a fake board email. like [email protected]
Nope, never said e-mail. Toungue
Pages: 1 2